Your Pets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
while on the subject of cats. I need to stand on my platform to discuss declawing. Many people still do not know what declawing is really. The Cat fancy club of America does NOT declaw. Canada, UK , Scotland, Ireland , and other parts of the world does not declaw. Slowly the states in America are outlawing that horrid practice. so what is declawing exactly, and most I ask will say, oh, its just pulling out the finger nails, and then I can go an further explain. That is the amputation of the first knuckle of their little toes. Its like you take your hand and cut off your first knuckle. That is what declawing is.
It is so simple to train a cat to scratch a scratching post, to reward him for that behavior.
Please do not ever declaw a cat. It is horrid. thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Agreed, Esther. I think it's an awful and unnecessary thing to do to a cat. :(

That said I know a few people heavily involved with cat rescue organizations. They will accept a declawed adult cat over an intact one - adult cats are difficult to rehome, but declawed ones go much faster.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Agreed, Esther. I think it's an awful and unnecessary thing to do to a cat. :(

That said I know a few people heavily involved with cat rescue organizations. They will accept a declawed adult cat over an intact one - adult cats are difficult to rehome, but declawed ones go much faster.

Yep, its easier, for lazy Americans to take the declawed cat instead of a little work to encourage the "real" cat to use the scratching post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've only had one cat in my life and didn't have her declawed her because I felt she need them for some reason,( not really a cat person but I do think their cute ) but I do think people who have cats or dogs should think about Spaying and neutering their pets,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've always shared my home with various animals but only have my beloved Lily at the moment. She will be 3 years old in August and we've had her since she was 11 weeks old and she is SUCH a huge character :D She carries toys back to me to be thrown for her, leaves catnip mice on my pillow most days (much better than the real dead mouse she left there when she first started going out!!!) and, not so endearing, has an amazing knack for jumping up onto the bed and walking over my head to tell me her food bowl is empty and Needs Filling Immediately. This tends to be at 4am most mornings...even if I make sure her bowl is filled before I go to bed! Refusing is not an option as, in typical feline diva fashion, she does not recognise the word No so it's easier just to walk half asleep into the kitchen, put some food into a bowl and then crawl back to bed :LOL:

I love all animals however and really miss having a dog as my last one, Tina Whippet, passed away in August 2008. It's only now that my working patterns are suitable to devote the time and energy to a pup so ~ fingers crossed ~ I would love to get one next year. We've got it down to a handful of breeds which we like so now it's just a case of saving up my pennies :whistle:

Attachments

• 10 May 2016 003.JPG
    10 May 2016 003.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did you ever think about adopting a dog from a shelter ? you can find many that are still young and need a loving home.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, adopting from rescue isn't off the cards either - my main and ONLY insistence is that the dog is ok with cats as we don't want Lily upset :) It'll probably be around March/April next year before we start looking as we're waiting to see if Neil still has a job then as the site he is security on is supposed to be closing in the autumn :( We can manage on my wage as we have very few outgoings (we're not material minded at all) but 'm putting a bit aside each month just in case :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a bishon frise and a cat. The local shelter has a mixed poodle that needs a home. I am thinking of adopting her and making her a part of my pet family.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My avatar for the month of July is Chaps. I figured since I've been saying I have 7.5 cats, he had to be next.

I ought to explain my half cat. He was born here, but now he lives somewhere else. I was working two jobs around the time he needed socialized, :( and by the time we got done paying for the spayings, and could start the neuters, he was mostly wild. He comes by for a feeding most days. (More often lately, he's getting older. ;))

Three years ago I finally got him to sit still for a picture, and this is Chaps.

0716021447Chaps.jpg

I asked him to please sit still one more time, and this is the picture I got.

0716021447aChaps.jpg

It feels like he was laughing at me. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have six animals, 2 dogs and 4 cats. The two dogs are Bubba and Kimchi. Bubba is a chiweenie, and Kimchi is a min pin. They are both black with tan marking and are quite the pair. My cats names are Shylah, Jasper, Muffs and Bubble. They mostly keep to themselves and are well behaved.

Ask a Question