Oakleaf Hydrangea

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
This shrub is native to East Texas and has just started blooming good at our house. The flowers are white but as summer goes along they pick up a beautiful pink hue. The leaves are lobed and resemble those of oak trees from which it gets its name. Very easy to care for and unlike their famous cousins with pink and blue flowers, these oakleafs are tough, cold hardy and drought resistant.

The blooms will just get more and more prevalent as time goes by. Really a very nice easy care plant.

oakleaf hydranga.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those flowers smell good too but not over-powering. Shes beautiful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We never get flowers. The deer love the bush and chew it every year. Not even a wire fence stops them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is an early bloomer here so all my oakleaf hydrangea cultivars' blooms have turned brown by this time. Very drought tolerant, as far as a hydrangea can be. Hee, hee, hee.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We need to try checking for smell earlier in the growing season, on a cloudy morning with no winds. My blooms are brown now so I cannot try to smell now (post was done in May). What you need to start gearing to enjoy now is the Fall foliage colors. In my area, that starts later than in PA. Maybe November-December.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We need to try checking for smell earlier in the growing season, on a cloudy morning with no winds. My blooms are brown now so I cannot try to smell now (post was done in May). What you need to start gearing to enjoy now is the Fall foliage colors. In my area, that starts later than in PA. Maybe November-December.
as I have had them about 10 years, I have checked for smells many time over the years at different periods of growth of them. Nope, no smell. yep fall colors now of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ok, will try to remember to let you know if I detect some scent next season. We all have different capabilities. I can sense scent from plants (at least, most of the time) but my late mother could not detect any scent from my 100+ roses!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Luis_pr , I was told, before I bought one, and it was listed in the description that an Annabelle has a scent. Have had 3 Annabells for past 10 or so years, I am smelling them often to see if at a certain opening time there is a scent, or later after opening, or near the end. Nope. If I creatively try to smell it I might imagine something, but its not there. Have lots of other scrubs that smell . I have a nice scented climbing rose next to the deck, it has a awesome smell. Then there are the 3 types of Lilac scrubs, and vibrunms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have not tried to smell the hydrangea arborescens cultivars to see if they have a scent, only the paniculatas. I would expect to catch some smell from lacecap cultivars like White Dome or the wild species. But hydrangea blooms this time of the year probably have little scent left as it is used to attract pollinators in the Spring. Lilacs should be tops in that department, specially the rebloomer lilacs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have not tried to smell the hydrangea arborescens cultivars to see if they have a scent, only the paniculatas. I would expect to catch some smell from lacecap cultivars like White Dome or the wild species. But hydrangea blooms this time of the year probably have little scent left as it is used to attract pollinators in the Spring. Lilacs should be tops in that department, specially the rebloomer lilacs!
Have about 6 types of hydrangeas, I give each a honest sniff through the year, nothing. Have lots of butterflies on a few.

Ask a Question