NSFW substance coming out of my lettuce

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I let one of my Bibb lettuce plants bolt and it has been giving me some great seeds. When I was harvesting the mature seed pods today, I noticed this really sticky white liquid coming from the plant at the sites that I pulled off the pods. Any idea what this is? I don’t know how else to describe it other than it has kinda the consistency of...uh...just look at the pics.
1594338265011.jpeg
1594338292011.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I've always assumed it is just a version of the same white latex sap that moves though lettuce any other time of year.

The milky white sap of lettuce is a natural latex fluid which will help scab over damage to the plant among other things. Look at the binomial name of lettuce - Lactuca sativa - and the word latex, and the various words lactate, lactose, lactace - they all have to do with milk and milky looking fluids. All these words tie back together with the dead language Latin.

Ask a Question