Novice Gardener

Reaction score
This year I planted my first real vegetable garden. Previously I had planted tomato plants and that's about it. One month into planting, I can already tell that I planted my large variety of veggies too close to each other. I am training the tomato plants to grow over my 3 ft wire fence so that is helping but elsewhere, there's a lot of crowding going on and I hate to see what it looks like in mid summer. Oh well, some us of have to learn the hard way. So I wanted to join this forum to learn how to be a better gardener and who knows, maybe I will be a contributor here in a few years.

Reaction score
This year I planted my first real vegetable garden. Previously I had planted tomato plants and that's about it. One month into planting, I can already tell that I planted my large variety of veggies too close to each other. I am training the tomato plants to grow over my 3 ft wire fence so that is helping but elsewhere, there's a lot of crowding going on and I hate to see what it looks like in mid summer. Oh well, some us of have to learn the hard way. So I wanted to join this forum to learn how to be a better gardener and who knows, maybe I will be a contributor here in a few years.
Jim, I'd start thinning and if possible try to transplant what you thin to another location. Some plants don't mind a little overcrowding but many will not do well as they compete for the limited amount of "good stuff" in the soil and later on they'll also be competing for sun. What kind of veggies are we talking about?
Morlogs

Reaction score
Jim, I'd start thinning and if possible try to transplant what you thin to another location. Some plants don't mind a little overcrowding but many will not do well as they compete for the limited amount of "good stuff" in the soil and later on they'll also be competing for sun. What kind of veggies are we talking about?
Morlogs
Hi Morlogs and thanks for the input. My garden is a raised 12 x 20 and my spacing varies from 4 inches to 18 inches, depending on the plant. I used an online spacing chart to guide me but got greedy and tightened the spacing some. I have several varieties of peppers, tomatoes, squash, collards, onions, cabbage, cantaloupe, water melon and a few others that IO can't recall. I live along the coast in South Carolina.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to Gardening Forums! Great to have you here (y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

Ask a Question