Not for the compost pile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know at one time it was not considered good to use black walnut hulls in compost because it was thought to stunt plant growth - although that has been found out to NOT be the case http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center...lack-Walnut-Hulls-Turning-Trash-into-Treasure
But, are there OTHER types of plants that are best not to be used in a compost pile?
I do not put tomato plants in my compost pile because I don't want to spread Early Blight or introduce spider mites. Same thing with squash plants that have powdery mildew. Or rose bush trimmings, I hate to have a thorn stuck in my finger

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand not putting rose bush trimmings in the compost. You must be very careful not to get a cut from a throne infected, it can be painful.

Reaction score
Hmmm...like Chuck said, you need to be careful of plants and vegetables that go powdery when they decompose, rather than rotting as such. Orange rind and other citrus fruits I believe would be a no go in this regard.

Reaction score
I am the same with my tomatoes and squash, they don't go in the pile or anywhere near it. Also the same with the roses, I have been nailed more than once by a wayward thorn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hmmm...like Chuck said, you need to be careful of plants and vegetables that go powdery when they decompose, rather than rotting as such. Orange rind and other citrus fruits I believe would be a no go in this regard.
Actually, it's okay to add citrus peels to compost. Some time ago, I was wondering about it too, so I asked a question in a different thread here and I was told that I can compost citruses:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, it's okay to add citrus peels to compost. Some time ago, I was wondering about it too, so I asked a question in a different thread here and I was told that I can compost citruses:)
Citrus is fine for compost. Citrus has a compound in it called delimonine which is a cleaner, degreaser and it also acts against harmful bacteria. Citrus peels dry out and decompose fairly quickly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
I've had potatoes that I deemed inedible sprout in my compost bin, so they are a no-no. Also I don't compost weeds of any variety. I have a problem with Oxalis, which, although I have reduced dramatically over the last year, has now appeared in other parts of my garden. I reckon in my ignorance I must have composted some of them last year. So as a general rule, anything I consider a weed is not composted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've had potatoes that I deemed inedible sprout in my compost bin, so they are a no-no. Also I don't compost weeds of any variety. I have a problem with Oxalis, which, although I have reduced dramatically over the last year, has now appeared in other parts of my garden. I reckon in my ignorance I must have composted some of them last year. So as a general rule, anything I consider a weed is not composted.
Oxalis is impossible to get rid of without very frequent mowing or fertilizing. It doesn't like fertile soil very much. I don't really mind weeds in my compost because as soon as things sprouts I turn it over, thereby killing the sprouts and adding oxygen to the pile. As far as the potatoes go let them grow some and then turn them under. A little green always helps in a compost pile

Reaction score
Whelp, guess I've still got a lot to learn then eh? :p

Reaction score
I'm new to composting and have just a 5 gallon bucket on my apartment deck.

I didn't realize squash and tomato are no-go for compost. There is a marginal amount of squash leaves in there. Is it toast or should I just leave it alone for a while and just let it run its course?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm new to composting and have just a 5 gallon bucket on my apartment deck.

I didn't realize squash and tomato are no-go for compost. There is a marginal amount of squash leaves in there. Is it toast or should I just leave it alone for a while and just let it run its course?
It will be fine. I don't add tomato or squash plants on the assumption that they might be infected not that they are

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've found Coconuts don't rot down very easily And no, it wasn't me that put it in the heap :D

Reaction score
I've found Coconuts don't rot down very easily And no, it wasn't me that put it in the heap :D
Are you sure about that? ;)

Still, makes sense I suppose...what does a rotting coconut even look like?

Ask a Question