Not feeling Christmas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We got our tree last weekend and decorated it. I even got a few presents wrapped, but it is just not feeling like Christmas to me right now. Do any of u on get that way? I thought I would get the spirit once I started smelling fresh pine in my home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rosey, the Christmas feeling will hit, it just takes longer sometimes. By the time you've hummed a carol or two, baked some cookies, and started thinking how the receivers will look when they get their special presents--you'll be in the mood.
Right now I'll wish you a very happy Christmas with all the trimmings, and peace, and joy it contains. Merry Christmas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I haven't felt Christmas for years now. I moved to Texas and left my family in Europe and I know they're sad 'cause I'm not with them, so no more Christmas for me. I wish it was over already.

Reaction score
The older I get the harder it is to get excited about Christmas. When we had young kids it was exciting to watch them open presents and the grand kids were equally exciting to see the excitement on Christmas day. I know Christmas is not about presents and smiles on kids faces but it was a lot of enjoyment for me. Now we have the kids and grand kids over for Christmas dinner and having them all together is enough enjoyment for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am almost never feeling Christmas, @Rosyrain. I just think everything gets out of hand and some people don't know how to let everyone be whoever they are when it comes to the holiday season. Not everyone celebrates, and those who do don't necessarily do it in the same way. Single people and those without children have it the hardest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All Christmas is these days is a government sponsored holiday designed to enrich their coffers with more revenue from your tax dollars. The real meaning of Christmas disappeared years ago. All it is now is one big commercialized money grab.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Christmas.
So does my wife.
We live very quietly and privately, apart from her sister's Boxing Day party, and just spend the day together.
We play carols and sing along, Bing Crosby and the Andrews sisters comes out, and we party in the kitchen together whilst I cook dinner (last year venison, this year duck).
I eat too much and tend to fall asleep after setting up my wife's dialysis (apd).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Christmas, or any holiday for that matter, is what you make it. There are just the two of us, but we have a tree, decorated with ornaments we have collected over the years, and hanging them brings back happy and funny memories. I bake like crazy and give cookies and breads to lots of folks. We decorate a bit outside so passersby can enjoy some greenery and bows. Giving is a lot more fun than receiving!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
All Christmas is these days is a government sponsored holiday designed to enrich their coffers with more revenue from your tax dollars. The real meaning of Christmas disappeared years ago. All it is now is one big commercialized money grab.
Exactly! I don't mean to start any religious discussion here, but it doesn't personally help me get in the Christmas spirit to know that Jesus wasn't born Dec. 25th, and that Christmas used to be a pagan holiday (the winter solstice) before the Catholic church made it theirs in order to make an easier transition for pagan people who converted to Christianity. I believe in God, but I'd rather celebrate Jesus' birthday on his actual birthday.

That being said, I say "Merry Christmas" and I love seeing children's faces full of excitement. And there is one Christmas tradition that I still love: Christmas lights :)

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
We got our tree last weekend and decorated it. I even got a few presents wrapped, but it is just not feeling like Christmas to me right now. Do any of u on get that way? I thought I would get the spirit once I started smelling fresh pine in my home.
I am so busy with work and rushing around that I havent felt the Christmas spirit yet either! I saw shop windows decorated and we are doing our tree tonight so maybe it will feel a bit more like it after that but if it doesnt heres an idea; put on some Christmas music, a santa hat and get something from the shops, this will definitely put us into the spirit of Christmas. It comes so quickly and we never really get to appreciate it and by the time we do, its gone!

Reaction score
I am already feeling burnt out and Christmas is not here as yet,even though it's fun to have relatives over whom i haven't seen throughout the year at times i feel like i would just have a quite Christmas and just cuddle in bed. Christmas means a lot of baking and cooking for me which leaves me feeling weary at times but i guess i don't have much of an option as my kids and hubby wouldn't have it any other way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
R.R you are so correct about Christmas happening like the day after Halloween here. It is like we forget about Thanksgiving and the day that is supposed to be set aside for us to be greatful.

I am starting to feel Christmas a little more now that I have started to wrap gifts with music on. It is just so busy that I do not get time to just sit and enjoy it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
R.R you are so correct about Christmas happening like the day after Halloween here. It is like we forget about Thanksgiving and the day that is supposed to be set aside for us to be greatful.
Yeah, by the first of December I'm thinking "enough with Christmas, already!" :)

I got me a little bit of Christmas spirit last Saturday, when my husband and the band were playing at the square in Blanco, Texas, for their Christmas parade. Children looked so happy, and the lights were beautiful...

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Christmas time is here! I cant belive it and the shops are crazy, the streets are full of holiday makers and the festive spirit is in the air. I love it and we finally put up our tree, but I havent started the shopping yet and not sure when that will happen but as usual will probably happen on Christmas eve!

Ask a Question