zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Chanell G wrote :

Actually, I wouldn't mind a new thread where we discuss how people deal with folk who want to know your business. At least you know your village idiots. I hate going out to a gathering of some sort and some person I've never met is asking me a bunch of intrusive questions that are none of their business.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from outright lying, the distraction approach often works, when they ask you something you don't want to answer, counter by changing the subject to " I didn't realise you'd had your leg taken off?"

This throws them a bit, they will obviously counter with "I haven't"

You then ad lib with things like "That's not what I heard, so and so said you'd been rushed in for emergency surgery, how are you going to cope with only one leg now?"

And so on.

With a bit of luck they will wander off confused and will have forgotten the prying questions they were asking, going thru their head wondering who had told you they'd had their leg off in the first place :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Apart from outright lying, the distraction approach often works, when they ask you something you don't want to answer, counter by changing the subject to " I didn't realise you'd had your leg taken off?"

...With a bit of luck they will wander off confused and will have forgotten the prying questions they were asking, going thru their head wondering who had told you they'd had their leg off in the first place :D

Ah, Zigs, you always make me laugh! I can't wait to see what advice some of our other friends have for this.

Reaction score
Zigs...sounds like YOU are the one with the answers! I sure don't have them. People get WAY too much information out of me, even when I don't want to give it!! :(

Jed

Reaction score
That's interesting about intrusive questions. We've had many Japanese people stay with us over the years and to break the ice I've always asked questions as they are in my house after all. I did find out that my asking about their parents and what they did back in Japan was intrusive. Some Japanese took it as an Australian culture and were most relax. Others I guess thought me as being intrusive. Out of 70 odd different Japanese one or two never quite enjoyed their stay.
we were in the wwoofer organisation
http://www.wwoofinternational.org/
and another system that is now available
http://www.helpx.net/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Jed, I am one of those people who finds questions like that intrusive -- but only when they are fired at you successively in a first meeting like when you're at a party. Some things aren't just intrusive, they are downright rude and I find many people don't seem to have appropriate boundaries.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Jim Morrison had the balance about right

Hey what’s your name?
How old are you?
Where’d you go to school?
Aha, yeah
Aha, yeah
Ah, ah yeah, ah yeah
Oh haa, mmm

Well, now that we know each other a little bit better,
Why don’t you come over here
Make me feel all right!

Short & to the point.

Another situation, when someone stops you in the street & asks you to do a survey, just ask them how much they are going to pay you for it. That'll stop em

Just say that you get paid $3 a survey to do them online, so why should you do one for nothing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hmmm, I'll have to remember that one, even as a joke. My time is valuable after all.

Okay, Zigs, what should I say the next time I am talking to someone and a rude person walks up and starts a new conversation as if I were invisible?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
"That's ok, none taken."

"OMG, Am I still wearing my invisibility cloak??"

"Butt out Sister, I saw him first"

"Did someone just fart?"

"Can you hear a high pitched whine?"

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When i'm driving with the window down & I've given way to someone, if they don't wave to thank me I shout "That's Ok" as they pass me:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When i'm driving with the window down & I've given way to someone, if they don't wave to thank me I shout "That's Ok" as they pass me:D

I always hate that! It's often women too which is frustrating. I also don't like it when you hold the door for someone and they walk through like you are meant to be there holding the door for them... if they don't acknowledge it then I say "You're welcome, have a lovely day" with a smile and they often have the grace to look ashamed of themselves.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Becky, i'll use that one:)

Reaction score
LOL :) This thread is hilarious. How did I miss it?
Zigs you are an ace in the art of repartee.. I am often the victim of gross rudeness because I am too soft to respond with a sharp word. I may have to ask you to mentor me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Maddie, I was hoping you would join us! (Now where's Claudine...?) This started because of a discussion that was about to go off topic in another thread.

@Zigs, I love the invisibility cloak! Have to remember that one. Usually I just walk away, though occasionally I have had to say to one person in particular I know who just walks up and starts the new conversation with ME when I am already talking to someone else "We're in the middle of something here."

@Becky, the door thing doesn't bother me - unless they go through the door first and let it go when I'm going through - that's just beyond rude.

Rude people are possibly my biggest pet peeve - especially when they take it upon themselves to instruct you on appropriate behavior. I used to work with someone like that.

Ask a Question