Noob would love comments and critiques and ideas on design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

A very new user to the forum... Feel free to be brutal ....
I have a new build house but love a classic garden and my partner loves modern.. so we are doing both ... Hopefully moderately well ... However... I'm at a path stage to tie in the garden and I can't help thinking of rainbow (BBC kids program)... So am not sure whether I should change the block or jus reconfigure....

The garden should be modern composite at the back which will hold a summer house when it comes and a pergola ...

The front nearer the house has a gradient and currently a 300yr old
IMG20220926165743.jpg
IMG20220926165716.jpg
IMG20220926165535.jpg
olive tree...(or so the salesman said)... And will hopefully hold a small pond also....

Currently.path is just laid to see how it feels so can be moved..... The composite and ideally the bigger olive tree stays where it is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well done! It looks lovely. I like the path - I like everything about it. The only thing missing is the privacy aspect, but your pergola will provide that when it comes.

Trying very hard to come up with some constructive criticism - the only thing I could possibly say is that maybe that little island bed on the left doesn't seem 'anchored'. I can't really articulate what is jarring there - but that little strip of grass running to the left of it somehow doesn't seem quite right? Am seeing this when I look at the view from upstairs. It looks fine in the other photos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum splreece. :)

You said to be brutal....hopefully I won't be quite that bad but I'll be honest with you. I think the block paving looks much to 'heavy' for the size of your garden. You've probably laid out a good few pennies for the blocks so I'll suggest another way of using them. I would remove the patio slabs and lay the blocks (if there's enough) right across the back of the house between the side boundaries, creating a new patio. Or - lift the slabs and again create a patio right across with blocks laid between and edging them. To create a softer look down the garden I would sink stepping stones or circular slabs into the lawn which would make mowing the lawn easier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fences look very bare, I would be stringing wires and planning all sorts of things for them. Would you be allowed a trellis on top of them? I would plan for longer term climbers, but go for something like morning glory or sweet peas to fill the gap whist they grew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum splreece. :)

You said to be brutal....hopefully I won't be quite that bad but I'll be honest with you. I think the block paving looks much to 'heavy' for the size of your garden. You've probably laid out a good few pennies for the blocks so I'll suggest another way of using them. I would remove the patio slabs and lay the blocks (if there's enough) right across the back of the house between the side boundaries, creating a new patio. Or - lift the slabs and again create a patio right across with blocks laid between and edging them. To create a softer look down the garden I would sink stepping stones or circular slabs into the lawn which would make mowing the lawn easier.
Ohh brilliant thanks very much... Really appreciate it ....the goal is to remove all the grass and have sections of flowered beds and ornaments etc.... So looking for a way to sections n the garden out. Totally with you on size of blocks .. I don't mind removing as we have to live with it for a while so has to be right ...so effectively am after a path that joins the back to front and carves out sections to plant.. (definitely no grass though)..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fences look very bare, I would be stringing wires and planning all sorts of things for them. Would you be allowed a trellis on top of them? I would plan for longer term climbers, but go for something like morning glory or sweet peas to fill the gap whist they grew
Thanks... I think we are flexible and the plan is to have some sort of barrier between next door as their dog is always on the lookout so block the visual at least..... I think climbers would be greatly thanks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well done! It looks lovely. I like the path - I like everything about it. The only thing missing is the privacy aspect, but your pergola will provide that when it comes.

Trying very hard to come up with some constructive criticism - the only thing I could possibly say is that maybe that little island bed on the left doesn't seem 'anchored'. I can't really articulate what is jarring there - but that little strip of grass running to the left of it somehow doesn't seem quite right? Am seeing this when I look at the view from upstairs. It looks fine in the other photos.
Thanks... Yeah it was meant to be top right but couldn't manoeuvre it up right.... The grass and turf will all go and remaining will be planted areas with some ornaments... The tree is likely to stay but going to try and soften or blend it in more once planting on underway ..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a big oak tree at the bottom of my garden with cyclamen around it. When I first came they were pretty well hidden by brambles and docks, but now they look great coming up between the roots, both as flowers and foliage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If your intention is to remove all the lawn it could be replaced with gravel. A link below for ideas....

There is also a choice of different coloured gravels to suit your ideas. Be aware though that the colours become darker when wet. Planters, pots and/or raised beds would be ideal.

Ask a Question