No worms?

Reaction score
For some reason I have loads of earwigs in my compost, as well as some cockroaches and grubs, but no earthworms as far as I can tell, and I searched pretty extensively. Anyone know why that might be? I have tons of earthworms in my yard so it's weird that haven't moved into my compost pile...maybe the soil isn't loose enough?

Reaction score
Well, the presence of worms in a compost pile usually indicates the compost file is too cool and moist. So maybe your compost pile is too hot for them to move into it? I don't know how old your compost pile is, but maybe you should just give it some time, maybe the earthworms will start moving in there soon.

Reaction score
Kate, I had to purchase a load of worms and add them to my compost pile. Within a few months, we were loaded with worms so it was a huge success. The worms were not costly and definitely helped to improve the quality of my compost and as a result, the quality of the growing medium in my garden.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is my understanding the compost pile needs to be moist, maybe your pile is not moist enough or too moist for worms,

Ask a Question