No toxic pesticides

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Does anyone know of any pesticides that are non lethal for vegetables? The main bugs I am trying to protect against are ones that go after the sweeter plants like corn. Especially grass hoppers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone know of any pesticides that are non lethal for vegetables? The main bugs I am trying to protect against are ones that go after the sweeter plants like corn. Especially grass hoppers.
There isn't much you can do against grasshoppers, either chemical or organic as they are, shall we say, nomadic. They are always on the move. Kill the ones in your garden now and in an hour more arrive to take their place. Plus, they are tough little critters, hard to kill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm glad you asked this question. Since you're hoping to grow 85% of your food, I would suggest you build a mesh grow house for everything that is self-pollinating. This will cut down on just about every garden pest you can think of.

The chickens will take care of crickets and other things, and so will the birds. Plant companions will help attract beneficial bugs that go after the ones you don't want, and you can use mild soap spray for others. Are you on Pinterest?

Ask a Question