Nitrogen fixation plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I saw on YouTube and this guy at a nursery mentioned nitrogen fixation plants. I’m curious to check it out so basically these kind of plants somehow create nitrogen for my fruit trees. I have two questions

1) what’s the nitrogen fixation plant you recommend?

2).where should I plant it? Around the fruit trees’ bases? I don’t have plants around my fruit trees because I don’t want them to eat up all the nutrients of my fruit trees

thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Clover, legumes, lupines, vetch, and alfalfa are the plants that come to my mind. It is OK to plant around the base of fruit trees but it is not done very much because it is limited by hot weather and the labor involved just isn't worth the amount of nitrogen involved.. It works great as cover crops in the fall which adds a lot of organic matter to the soil in the spring but I don't think you'll be wanting to turn under the plants that are around your trees. You will still have to fertilize anyway. IMO

Ask a Question