Nice little Find

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I found this beauty in a store that sells indoor plants, but I have a feeling this one can survive in my balcony. The store clerk could not tell me the name, however, I used a plant app and it ID it as Pachira Aquatica, and with that search, I was able to find more info online. There are a few variations of the plant. They are native to Central and South American wetlands. From what I understand they can get very large.

Does anyone know how to take care of one of these in a pot? It appears that It should be transplanted. What size pot should I transplant it to? I am guessing she likes wetter conditions being that she's native to wetlands. Any specific information in regards to care, transplanting, the type of medium she likes to grow in would be greatly appreciated.

5102650495062878678_121.jpg

Notice how it's tied up top. I have seen other pictures with them being tied in the same spot. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Malabar-chestnut or Money Plant (Pachira glabra or P. aquatica) are wetland and riverine trees native to Central America and South America. They want regular water and bright light. They can be grown in saturated soil, but it is still beneficial to drain or flush the soil occasionally to reduce anaerobic soil conditions.
Many Pachira sold as houseplants are actually several seedlings planted together with their trunks braided. By now the braided trunks on the plant pictured should stay in place and the gold foil twist-tie can and should be removed before it begins to dig into the bark.

Ask a Question