Next Doors Raised Deck - Privacy Ideas for Winter Months

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Our neighbour has built an extension with big bifold doors and deck that is level with the top of the six foot boundary fences. We have patio running right up to the fence so can't really plant large trees etc (without digging up part of the patio). We would need something reaching about 10 foot high to avoid seeing his head peering over the top every time we go out.

For summer we've got it sorted with bamboo in containers, along with strategically placed runner beans, sunflowers etc. But I'm dreading the winter as the annuals will be gone and we'll need to move the bamboo to somewhere more sheltered for the winter. (if anyone thinks the bamboos can stay and be protected in situ please let me know - the 6 foot fence protects it from north winds to a degree, but it's over 9 feet tall!)

We have planted a MASSIVE rambling rose that in time should grow all along the fence and take it to about 8 feet or so. Which would be acceptable.

As I say, fine for the summer, but I really don't want to go out during winter knowing that there's no way to avoid catching his eye. Nothing at all 'weird' about him, but in my mind it feels like being stalked. We've always got on fine with him, but I don't want anyone peering into my garden 24/7.

Sheds, permanent structures would all be OK with us, but we need about 10 foot of height. Probably not possible, but just hoping someone has an idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
There was a friend of ours who extended his fence up with a fabric held between poles extending the fence posts up. It's hard to discribe but it had almost a neo-shinto feel to it. Look at the Japanese paper screens for inspiration.

There are cold hardy bamboos you can look into.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
There was a friend of ours who extended his fence up with a fabric held between poles extending the fence posts up. It's hard to discribe but it had almost a neo-shinto feel to it. Look at the Japanese paper screens for inspiration.

There are cold hardy bamboos you can look into.
I think the bamboo I have is cold hardy, but even so they say it should be protected from cold northerly winds. We often have a strong gale or two in the winter and aside from the cold, I think really strong winds would damage it. I'm planning on putting them against the house where they'll have support.

I've had a look at the planning permission info for my area. Whilst you can't build a fence more than 6 foot tall, you can build a structure like a shed or pergola up to 8.2 feet tall (if it's within 1m of the boundary) and up to nearly 10 feet tall if it's more than 1m from your boundary. So essentially we can build the 10 foot fence we need if it's in the form of a pergola.

I can't believe he got permission for what he's built. At some points the deck is way above head height! But I think we can manage to do something - hubby is quite handy at building things.

I've read some horror stories when looking for solutions. We have big gardens so there are lots of possibilities. But even so, I feel I don't want to go out there when people are towering above me watching my every move. Some people face this with small gardens - so a tiny garden and your neighbour builds a 'viewing platform' not only looking into your garden, but into your windows! Yet if they put a fence topper on to get a bit of privacy they are breaking planning laws!!

At least he's north of us so isn't blocking our sun!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I can't believe your neighbour got planning permission either and I'm sorry for the situation you now find yourself in. My location is Inverness-shire and two years ago I removed a clump forming bamboo from my garden that was here on moving in. The reason for removal was not only that I dislike them but it was not in a good situation. I live rurally and my garden is exposed but even during the winter it had little effect on the bamboo. Yes, it lost a few leaves but it withstood snow and below zero temperatures. I would take a chance and leave them where they are, wrapping the pots in something to give them protection from frost. The attached image was taken in February.

020.JPG

Below is a link to another thread that may give you ideas, posted by a member in a similar situation to yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I can't believe your neighbour got planning permission either and I'm sorry for the situation you now find yourself in. My location is Inverness-shire and two years ago I removed a clump forming bamboo from my garden that was here on moving in. The reason for removal was not only that I dislike them but it was not in a good situation. I live rurally and my garden is exposed but even during the winter it had little effect on the bamboo. Yes, it lost a few leaves but it withstood snow and below zero temperatures. I would take a chance and leave them where they are, wrapping the pots in something to give them protection from frost. The attached image was taken in February.

View attachment 92967

Below is a link to another thread that may give you ideas, posted by a member in a similar situation to yourself.

That's good to know. So it seems the main thing is to keep the root ball from freezing - which is harder when they're in containers, but It's doable.

I've delved a little deeper with the neighbour situation today. I tracked down the plans that were submitted and approved - I remember not being concerned at the time we were notified (2018). The plans very clearly show a 1.5m wide deck (not the 3 m that he's built). The planning authorization actually points out that the fact the deck is only 1.5 m further back than the pre-extension position means it won't affect neighbours privacy.

So he's very obviously failed to stick to the approved plan. I have a solution that I'm comfortable with - I can get the privacy I need by running a series of pergola arches along the fence line - this in effect lets me create a wall as high as 4m (I don't need anywhere near that).

I'm not sure I want the bad feeling that would result if I reported him to the council, and in all honesty I would hate for him to have to tear it all down. He was widowed a few years back so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

But his neighbour on the other side is in a far worse position - he's looking right down onto their patio and into their bifold doors to their lounge. If they build a barrier (As we've done) they lose all their light.

Curious as to what others would do? Would you report it and risk ending up with a vengeful, bloody minded neighbour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Curious as to what others would do? Would you report it and risk ending up with a vengeful, bloody minded neighbour?
Yes, but that's though I walk through the valley of death I fear no evil, because when need be I am the most evil b***** in it. :)

Now, for starters, where shall I site the evil smelling kitchen compost bin?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's good to know. So it seems the main thing is to keep the root ball from freezing - which is harder when they're in containers, but It's doable.

I've delved a little deeper with the neighbour situation today. I tracked down the plans that were submitted and approved - I remember not being concerned at the time we were notified (2018). The plans very clearly show a 1.5m wide deck (not the 3 m that he's built). The planning authorization actually points out that the fact the deck is only 1.5 m further back than the pre-extension position means it won't affect neighbours privacy.

So he's very obviously failed to stick to the approved plan. I have a solution that I'm comfortable with - I can get the privacy I need by running a series of pergola arches along the fence line - this in effect lets me create a wall as high as 4m (I don't need anywhere near that).

I'm not sure I want the bad feeling that would result if I reported him to the council, and in all honesty I would hate for him to have to tear it all down. He was widowed a few years back so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

But his neighbour on the other side is in a far worse position - he's looking right down onto their patio and into their bifold doors to their lounge. If they build a barrier (As we've done) they lose all their light.

Just a quick follow up.

I decided that as there was something I could legally do (albeit expense and work), that I'd just accept it and move on. In fact, the problem led to so much lateral thinking that we've ended up with a plan that is something we really want - regardless of what's going on next door. It will improve our garden.

One little bit that we can't (legally) do is to raise the actual fence right by our window - if we could do that it would be perfect. So, I went through to see him to see how he'd feel about us doing that (even though strictly it's not allowed). He had no problem at all with it. He showed me around his extension and his deck (the view from which is awesome). It really is so lovely that it would be such a shame if he hadn't done it! I told him about our pergola plans. He asked us if there's anything we'd like him to do on his side that would help us. We chatted about how I could tweak things on my side to make his view nicer and viseversa.

So really I'm just sharing this as a lesson to others. We always have the option to go off on a strop and make trouble, but even if we're justified in doing that if we approach it differently it can be a win-win!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom

It shouldn't be difficult. Large bubble wrap or horticultural fleece would be fine. Don't cover the soil completely though as it needs air and access for watering.

The plans very clearly show a 1.5m wide deck (not the 3 m that he's built).

As you've decided not to report your neighbour for breach of planning it gives you the opportunity to call the shots and he has probably realised that. I'm not sure where you stand legally knowing about the breach if someone else reports him, or if his house is sold in the future. I wonder if he realises that could make things very difficult for him with sale conveyancing.

That aside, it's good to hear you have accepted the situation and are prepared to work with it and him.
One little bit that we can't (legally) do is to raise the actual fence right by our window

I believe the legal height for a fence is 2 metres. If you already have that then it's possible to mount a trellis on top of that without breaking the law. I think a pergola would be a much nicer addition though. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It shouldn't be difficult. Large bubble wrap or horticultural fleece would be fine. Don't cover the soil completely though as it needs air and access for watering.

As you've decided not to report your neighbour for breach of planning it gives you the opportunity to call the shots and he has probably realised that. I'm not sure where you stand legally knowing about the breach if someone else reports him, or if his house is sold in the future. I wonder if he realises that could make things very difficult for him with sale conveyancing.

That aside, it's good to hear you have accepted the situation and are prepared to work with it and him.

I believe the legal height for a fence is 2 metres. If you already have that then it's possible to mount a trellis on top of that without breaking the law. I think a pergola would be a much nicer addition though. :)
My understanding is that after 4 years the changes become legal. You can pay to get a certificate to prove this if and when you sell.

The pergola will solve most of the privacy issues, but it's just that one bit by the bedroom window that's tricky. It really will need a lot of trellis, but neighbour is happy. If someone else reports him, and we subsequently need to take this bit down it's not a big deal as it really is only a small piece of the puzzle. The vast majority of our solution is strictly legal.

As for selling - he, like us, will be in his house until he dies! Same is true of most of the street - it really is a lovely location. Views out over farmland and lovely big gardens. So I'm glad I bit my tongue when I had the initial knee jerk reaction!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You're happy to move on having found a peaceful solution and that's good. If you have the time in the future, pictures of your new pergola and plants would be of interest to members of the forum. Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You're happy to move on having found a peaceful solution and that's good. If you have the time in the future, pictures of your new pergola and plants would be of interest to members of the forum. Good luck! :)
Hubby will be designing and building the pergola, and he is also a photographer, so expect to see those photos!!

We planted a rambling rose called 'Bobbie James' last year. It grows to about 40 feet - very vigorous. So the pergola will be perfect to support it.

Ask a Question