Newts advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon.
Just a few days ago my pond was brimming with tadpoles. Today they seem to have disappeared! I wonder if there is a newt in the pond eating the tadpoles? It's difficult to see into the water as the pond has spring bloom. I watched for a while this afternoon and saw bubbles come to the surface of the water.
Can anyone help solve the mystery of the disappearing tadpoles? There are still some tadpoles in the little pond at the top of the garden
Thanks
Rose

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My problem has been herons, raccoons or possum when loosing critters from my pond. I doubt that newts could make much of an impact on tadpoles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon.
Just a few days ago my pond was brimming with tadpoles. Today they seem to have disappeared! I wonder if there is a newt in the pond eating the tadpoles? It's difficult to see into the water as the pond has spring bloom. I watched for a while this afternoon and saw bubbles come to the surface of the water.
Can anyone help solve the mystery of the disappearing tadpoles? There are still some tadpoles in the little pond at the top of the garden
Thanks
Rose
I think it`s all part of the ''system'' there are predators for all the creatures, and tadpoles (usually loads of them) are dinner for other creatures - like dragonflies. Our own pond had a visit or two from a pair of ducks recently. We thought all the tadpoles had gone, but there are still plenty left, hiding behind the murky bits.
The only thing to do is observe and learn, and a pond is a super place to sit and rest and watch - it beats weeding :rolleyes:

Ask a Question