Newly sown lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently sown a new lawn (beginning of October), it is growing well, my problem is that I'm getting small weeds appearing. The garden was previously like a jungle. After cutting it down and digging it up three times, removing weeds and roots each time, I thought I'd cleared the ground well enough for seeding. My question is, can I use a weed killer at this early stage?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Maintaining the monoculture of a grass lawn will always be an uphill battle. There will be constant input of resources in the form of labor, cost, and chemicals. However, if you are up for this relentless challenge, now would be an acceptable time to use a broad-leaf pre-emergent herbicide.

Also consider the possibility of a multi-species 'tapestry' lawn. With less effort and more aesthetic and ecological benefit, you can have a lawn enhanced with daisies, clover, buttercup, etc. Clover and other nitrogen-fixing legumes will even help fertilize your lawn for you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You would wait until it has been mown a few times usually at least 2x, but basically wait for mature grass. Then it depends on the grass type and chemical and temps. We have warm season grass but likely you have cool season. No one suggests the harshness of chemical control during green up nor during the beginnings of dormancy. Most chemicals but not all rely on what you might call the metabolic rate differences between grasses and weeds, which are faster growing usually. They soak up just enough more to die where the grass might only yellow or whiten. This is one reason caution is advised during times of high temps, the grass is growing fast too or is weakened by heat stress. Fancier chemicals have different actions but study and reading will introduce you to local knowledge and sources that will be very helpful. You can most certainly spot spray, as it wont take much. Of course stomping about on tender grass is not the best idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That's very helpful, I appreciate your post.
Mostly the chemicals are related to the weeds. For example, one should never choose a nuclear power blowtorch when a bic lighter would work. Too much baggage. Since weed seed blow in all the time, the gentle approach more frequently is usually best. A short half life is safer for you too. Post up some weed pics for identification. We are pretty good at that part.

Ask a Question