Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to organic growing, and the process in which it takes to grow organically. I wanted to compile a list of tips, tricks, and do's and don'ts of organic growing. I am expecting and would love to move toward organic before my baby gets here. A few other questions I had include; Is it a rough transition? Is it worth the effort it takes? How much more effort goes into organic gardening? Is it do-able with a new baby, or should I wait until the baby is older?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am new to organic growing, and the process in which it takes to grow organically. I wanted to compile a list of tips, tricks, and do's and don'ts of organic growing. I am expecting and would love to move toward organic before my baby gets here. A few other questions I had include; Is it a rough transition? Is it worth the effort it takes? How much more effort goes into organic gardening? Is it do-able with a new baby, or should I wait until the baby is older?
Thanks!
Organic gardening is much easier and less time consuming than chemical gardening. The only difficult thing about organic gardening is finding organic products.. When one uses chemical products you MUST follow directions explicitly. It is just about impossible to over fertilize and hard to burn up your plants with pesticides while using OG techniques, unlike chemicals. All OG is, is an attempt to follow Mother Nature. To imitate her but also to improve Her. With OG you feed the soil not the plants. Your garden improves year after year, not the other way around. All you have to do in organic gardening to be successful is to have fertile soil. It might take a couple of years to accomplish this but after you do all you have to do is maintain it. With chemicals it is a never ending increase in products to maintain your productivity while at the same time your soil is slowly deteriorating. By using organics this is not a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there any organic gardening products you recommend? I was thinking just homemade compost to be quite honest with you. I know for a compost I would use all natural things, besides coffee grounds. Any other tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are there any organic gardening products you recommend? I was thinking just homemade compost to be quite honest with you. I know for a compost I would use all natural things, besides coffee grounds. Any other tips?
I would start out by going to a real nursery, not a box store, and see what they have and ask questions. If you lived in Texas I could recommend products. Why don't you update your profile so we will know where you live and what your hardiness zone is?
Compost is great stuff but it does not have enough of NPK and other required nutrients to give you success and it takes a lot of compost which is not that quickly made to make a big decisive difference

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I would recommend banana peels for compost, rich in magnesium, potassium, etc Also unsulphured molasses is very good for the soil. Diatomaceous Earth is 100% organic and good for both soil and control of harmful bugs and critters. Encourage Lady Beetles in your garden. They will eat all your aphids. Organic gardening is very doable with a new baby and also a much healthier environment in which to raise a baby. You don't want toxic stuff near your baby and you sure don't want to grow your food in it. Congratulations @Alexandra and welcome to the forums. When is the baby due?:)

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As a recently new mother (1.5 year old), I can tell you that the first year is the hardest year of your life. I would personally wait, bc you run the risk of spending a good amount of money and def time, on something you may not be able to tend to. I don't think I brushed my hair for the first month! My garden suffered tremendously when I had my son. Any free time I had, I spent trying to get some sleep! My honest recommendation would be to study up on what you want to grow and perhaps look into companion planting. Take the time, when you bored out of your mind, and during the feelings and pumpings, and plan your garden well. From one momma to another.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You can make actively-aerated compost tea, if you don't have much compost, it practically transforms your garden soil into compost, and is the best starter for organic growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can make actively-aerated compost tea, if you don't have much compost, it practically transforms your garden soil into compost, and is the best starter for organic growing.

When I first started gardening, I didn't have a lot of compost and one day I was listening to this podcast and they were talking about compost tea. The speaker spoke about how the benefits of it and how easy it was to make, so I gave it a try while at the same time building a compost pile. I have to say, compost tea is truly amazing and I recommend it to a lot of other gardeners. Unfortunately, I didn't use it as regularly this year in the garden, but I'll be back on my compost tea game next year.

Ask a Question