Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Starting my first vegetable garden (I know I may be a little late). Garden will be 7 foot x 3 foot and raised 16 inches. Plan is to put a couple inches of rocks at bottom but should rest be garden soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Garden soil might be a bit dense for what amounts to a giant pot. I would just use potting soil. Remember it cannot breath as well because it has sides, and most of the time a bottom. Where can the oxygen get to the roots? Just my theory. The bagged stuff with a lot of loosener like perlite and compost will be a lighter bag too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I put my raised beds right on the ground, one I dug up the grass, the other I didn’t. Can’t see any material difference in the two beds. My cedar frame is about 13” deep. I got soil in bulk from the feed store, $34.50 a cubic yard. Your beds dimensions work out to a cubic yard filled to 15”, providing there’s no rocks as a base layer. Miracle grow makes raised bed soil in bags that is ready to plant, fertilizer and all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't put any rocks on the bottom because it's not necessary. When you decide to move it, or remove it, you will have to pick up all the rocks. Picking up rocks is much harder than spreading them on the ground. Save yourself a lot of trouble and leave the rocks out.

Ask a Question