Newbie starting out...

Reaction score
Hi all, im an Australian boy here, and today i started my adventure into gardening, after help from a staff member at my local place i have gathered my plants and a bottle of stuff to help me out. The only thing i forgot to grab was a watering container, as i thought i had one at home.

Anyways, container gardening has been interesting to me so i looked around my place for what i could use, and came across an old hand sink set up and decided that i will use that. Than i went to Bunnings(Australian hardware and garden store) and got help from a staff member, through his guidance and encouragement i have decided to get the following Perennials:

Salvia Hybrid
Mesembryanthemum Dwarf Pink
Mesembryanthemum Dwarf Pink
Leptospermum 'Cardwell

And after i followed the mans advice, even his placement ideas, i came up with the following:

2881-b837a2df98d5075a500f405e00f874cb.jpg

Back centre - Salvia Hybrid
Left- Mesembryanthemum Dwarf Pink
front centre- Mesembryanthemum red
Right- Leptospermum 'Cardwell

I was going to have two mesembryanthemum's on the left and right but didnt quite pay attention. It is placed along the back wall of the house where it can get some light and shade and will be protected from frost. And since i forgot to get a watering can, i used a bottle of water with a few holes nicked towards the top. And it worked out well.

I have plans to re-use items for my slowly expanding container garden such as the following i want to use:

Wheelborrow
Old tin mop bucket
Old tonka truck
Wooden plallet- planing on using this as a vertical herb garden
An old desktop housing
And what ever else tickles my fancy

Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• plants_1.jpg
    plants_1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 371
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like you're off to a good start! The guys at your local shop probably mentioned this, but it's worth saying just in case - whatever container you are using, make sure you have good drainage so that excess water has somewhere to go.

Reaction score
Becky, thank you. And yes it has a drainage point, the actual drian, lol, and i know it works well because of the water that i see at the bottom, i might attach a pipe to direct it more out of the road

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Who would have thought a sink was so ideally suited to plants! :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Yellow Tea-tree (Leptospermum polygalifolium ssp. polygalifolium, formerly L. flavescens) is an evergreen shrub,
in the Myrtle Family (Myrtaceae), native to New South Wales. The cultivar, L. polygalifolium 'Cardwell' looks to be particularly spectacular in bloom. I'm not certain this cultivar is available outside of Australia.
1230100200.jpg

Ask a Question