Newbie From Wisconsin US

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey,
Just joined and looking forward to exchanging ideas with all of you!
It's way too early to be digging in the garden here as it's still below freezing.
When it does warm up, I have a small orchard of apples, 4 flower beds around the house and yard, a raised vegetable garden area, and several large flower containers that keep me busy. The growing zone keeps fluctuating between 4b and 5a and we usually get a last killing frost around the first week of May.
I also have 2 greenhouses that I used originally for production from 2000 to 2013 for herbs and flowers. Those have been dormant since then.
Where is everyone from?
Barbara

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello @oakcamp2 and welcome to the forums
I live in the UK redditch west midlands.
Hi Logan, I checked out your city on Wiki. Your location is so much warmer than here, at least through winter, and you get a lot of rain! I bet your lawns, trees, and gardens are bright green all year long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I'm also from Wisconsin. Specifically, southeast Wisconsin.
Hi JB, You've done so much work on your gardens and ponds! Very impressed with how beautiful it all looks. Do you remove the koi for the winter?
We have one patch of big blue stem on our property. I have to keep reminding my husband to leave it alone as that species is rare in WI.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Logan, I checked out your city on Wiki. Your location is so much warmer than here, at least through winter, and you get a lot of rain! I bet your lawns, trees, and gardens are bright green all year long.
Hi Oakcamp2, we do sometimes get dry summers, then the lawns go dry and brown and the trees suffer. Apart from some conifers a lot of the trees are deciduous. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sheal,
I always wanted to grow heaths and heathers here, but our winters are just too cold. Do you have any?

What are heaths please? I haven't got any heathers at the moment. My current garden is still fairly new to me and the past couple of years, since moving here, I've been retrieving it from nature. Heathers grow wild in the countryside here but I do intend to plant some in my garden eventually.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are heaths please? I haven't got any heathers at the moment. My current garden is still fairly new to me and the past couple of years, since moving here, I've been retrieving it from nature. Heathers grow wild in the countryside here but I do intend to plant some in my garden eventually.
Heath is in the Erica family. Mostly evergreen low growing shrubby plants. I believe they are found in the highlands of the UK or Scotland.

Ask a Question