New tree size vs growth rate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m considering planting a large (4-5” caliper) October glory maple in my yard. I’ve heard that planting smaller trees (say 2” caliper) will result in a faster growing tree that will actually be the same size as the larger one after a few years due to less transplant shock.

Is there any truth to this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m considering planting a large (4-5” caliper) October glory maple in my yard. I’ve heard that planting smaller trees (say 2” caliper) will result in a faster growing tree that will actually be the same size as the larger one after a few years due to less transplant shock.

Is there any truth to this? Any suggestions? Thanks!
I don't believe there is any truth to it. The reason a small plant is cheaper than a large plant is the time involved and the expense in growing a large plant. If a smaller plant grew at a different/faster rate why sell small plants when, if a short time later, they could sell it for much much more. And a container tree if properly planted will not have transplant shock. Improperly planted trees will have shock no matter what size they are.

Last edited:

Ask a Question