New to this plant

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had this for 3 months now. I noticed that some of the leaves are dead. Also few of the leaves looked wet.

What's the name of this plant and how can I grow better?

I am guessing direct sunlight is bad as it can dry the plant.
I was told to water every ten days,

Attachments

• IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum @purefunguy ! As you can see, I'm Canadian too! It's a big country so it would be nice to know what part of the country you hail?

I can't help you but I think I know who can offer advice on this plant - hey, @zigs - you out there??

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
He'm need a bigger pot and gritty compost. Drop the watering to 3 weeks and keep him out of draughts :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
He'm need a bigger pot and gritty compost. Drop the watering to 3 weeks and keep him out of draughts :)
Omg, thank you. You really think I can keep the plant alive if I do as you say?

Why do you recommend a bigger pot and gritty compost?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum @purefunguy ! As you can see, I'm Canadian too! It's a big country so it would be nice to know what part of the country you hail?

I can't help you but I think I know who can offer advice on this plant - hey, @zigs - you out there??
Hi! I am from Toronto. Good to see someone from Oakville. A nice place to live.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why do you recommend a bigger pot and gritty compost?

Gritty compost for good nutrients, with good drainage.:)

A bigger pot, because it is probably root-bound. It is generally a good rule of thumb to repot a plant as soon as you buy it. (y)

Houseplants tend to grow in stages. First, the roots spread out. (Kind of testing their limits. :rolleyes: ) Once the roots grow, they start absorbing nutrients. Once the plant gets enough nutrients, the foliage will start growing. Most plants look their best when they are almost root-bound. And when they look their best, that is when they will sell quickly... :cautious:

That is why it is also best not to put it in too big of a pot when you repot it. It will spend too much time trying to fill the pot with roots. People think they will save some time, and put it in a BIG pot and not have to repot as soon, then they wonder why the plant quit growing. ;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Gritty compost for good nutrients, with good drainage.:)

A bigger pot, because it is probably root-bound. It is generally a good rule of thumb to repot a plant as soon as you buy it. (y)

Houseplants tend to grow in stages. First, the roots spread out. (Kind of testing their limits. :rolleyes: ) Once the roots grow, they start absorbing nutrients. Once the plant gets enough nutrients, the foliage will start growing. Most plants look their best when they are almost root-bound. And when they look their best, that is when they will sell quickly... :cautious:

That is why it is also best not to put it in too big of a pot when you repot it. It will spend too much time trying to fill the pot with roots. People think they will save some time, and put it in a BIG pot and not have to repot as soon, then they wonder why the plant quit growing. ;)

New
The all leaves are dead, it just falls out. Is the whole plant dead or can it be revived?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All the leaves are dead? Can you post a new picture?

I don't know what kind of plant it is, but I would try putting it in indirect sunlight, and don't water it. If nothing changes in a month, it's dead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Sounds like you need to administer the last rites. Sometimes it happens to the best of us. Don't hesitate to get a replacement and try it again with less water and different soil mix. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I had this for 3 months now. I noticed that some of the leaves are dead. Also few of the leaves looked wet.

What's the name of this plant and how can I grow better?

I am guessing direct sunlight is bad as it can dry the plant.
I was told to water every ten days,

Hey there! I've had a Lace Aloe plant (which is what I think you have) for a few months now. Its never in direct sunlight and I only water it about once a month. It actually already started sprouting new "pups". It's in pretty standard potting soil with no drainage holes or anything. I just keep it really dry. It want to grow up, kind of like a lotus blossom. It looks like the leaves just need to dry out a little. Its easier to add more water to a dry plant than to dry out an over watered plant, in my opinion. I'll get a photo of the plant I have and see if you think its the same. There are also plant identifier apps that can be really helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Oh and definitely let it dry out for about a week, then it'll be easy to remove from the current pot, then soak it a little so it blends with the new soil mix, and put it in a permanent pot with succulent mix soil. That's a desert plant, which are all over where I live, in Southern California...the easiest way to keep them alive is to do almost nothing at all to them.

Ask a Question