New to Gardening and loving the science

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Hello,

My name is Matthew, I took an interest in gardening about 2 or so months ago and it felt more like falling in to some sort of addiction. I began germinating and practicing the different techniques of germination. I am very impatient so when I found out about indoor growing I extremely happy. After a bit of research I began building my grow room.

I sourced a grow light and ended up buying an entire grow tent. Before I go on I should mention that I do not grow marijuana or anything. My tent is performing well with a 300W LED and a T5 Fluorescent (for assisting in germination temporarily [I will invest my money in a heating pad when I can afford to upgrade, I know light during germination isn't ideal, but it stabilizes the temperature]).

So I did manage to germinate in soil and it made me very excited. I attempted to expose my spinach (in soil) but it died since 9* Celcius was not ideal, lol. But I knew from the evident germination that I seem to have gotten the basic concept of germination and maaaaybe growing altogether.

I moved on to rockwool as I heard it was a really nice way to germinate fast. What I did not know was that I should not be sewing my rockwool with the same amount of seeds as I would in soil which. This caused about 90% of the seeds to germinate, sprout and tangle stalks around each other. It's amazing how when a plant looks uncomfortable you actually feel guilty. That issue brought me to this site!

That is my very small backstory and I will definitely be posting pics and assist where I can,

So, hello!

I am Matthew :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Mathew, sounds like you are learning and enjoying the process. I am also a newbie gardener and just joined this forum. I am looking forward to hearing about your progress.
Steve

Reaction score
Hi Matthew! That's a very interesting story, thanks for sharing it with us :) I just wanted to take the time to welcome you to our forum, I hope you enjoy your stay and find it useful. Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome to you Matthew! Gardening is a fascinating activity involving science, experimentation, art, intuition, discovery and surprise, what else am i not thinking of at the moment? It is also a good teacher. It will teach you patience. In the end, nature decides when and what will happen no matter how much we try to bend it to fit our agendas, no matter how much we coax. The learning is never ending. I'll be interested to see what you are up to in the forums. This is a great place for sharing experiences and information.(y)

Ask a Question