New sod browning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi! I tore down a vegetable garden area and had sod laid down by landscapers. I am new to sod. I have been watering 2x a day like they said. He said 20-45 minutes morning and afternoon. It continues to brown. It has been very hot here, 90 degrees. This area gets full sun morning to evening. The greener areas get some shade. The temps are dropping and we are supposed to get rain. Will it revive?

Attachments

• 20210705_195611.jpg
    20210705_195611.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
The mistake landscapers most often make is to not advise how to prepare the soil prior to laying the sod or seeding for that matter. Roots seek moisture so if the soil did not have adequate moisture at a mature root depth the potential roots will stay where they advised to water which is at the surface and that's where the soil dries bone dry first in hot weather. Point #2 is the grass. Is it a cool season or a warm season grass. Bermuda would love your temperatures if the moisture was correct but it's a warm season grass.

Only time will tell if it survives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Professional landscapers should have realised and taken into account the high temperatures. Prior to laying. The sods, (turves) should have been unrolled and given a good soaking. Also the prepared ground area should have been well watered. Preferably to have waited until the temperature dropped, would have helped. However, it is a natural thing for some turves to brown, but how many, numbers tell a story. A tip that actually works. Much depending on the area affected. Polythene sheeting spread over the affected areas at sundown and left overnight, but being removed at least by mid-morning, often allows the dew to come to your aid. Worth a try. Failing that. I trust the landscapers gave you some guarantee.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I live in Illinois, we have had very hot summer this year. No idea what sod they laid down or if they watered the ground before. I guess I just assumed it is the heat we have been having and drought. Half my lawn looked the sod for a while and had some heavy rain for a few days.
After the rains about 2 days later they cane with the sod. The Temperature dropped today to 70 and had no sun all overcast. I watered it this morning and afternoon but cut back on the watering time just a bit. I turned over one of the sod and the ground is moist. We are supposed to have rain this weekend and cooler temperatures. It honestly looks just a bit better today. I am worried I am doing something wrong in caring for it? Sod is all new to me.

Ask a Question