New Problem....Sow Bugs.

Reaction score
I believe they're called Sow Bugs but as a kid we called them Roller Bugs, Rollie Pollies or something like that. Does anyone know if they eat vegetable plants? The sun came out today after 2 full days of rain and they seem to all over the garden including on the plants. Thanx

Reaction score
The best way to prevent sowbugs is eliminating their hiding places. If there are no damp harborages, the sowbugs will leave or die. Pull mulch in flowerbeds away from the foundation. Create a zone next to the home that is free of mulch and leaves. The zone should be 15 to 30 cm wide. This will discourage sowbugs and other pests from nesting. It may be necessary to trim limbs of trees or shrubs if they cause a damp shady environment near the foundation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As far as I know, Sow Bugs eat ripened fruits, shoots, decaying plants and also dead animals if they find some. They look so disgusting:eek: I hope that soon you'll find a way to get rid of them, I agree with Nelson Castro that eliminating their hiding places is the best solution.

Reaction score
Thanks folks. Since things have dried out I'm not seeing many of them. I try to keep dead animals out of the garden. I must disagree with you though Claudine. I've always thought they were kinda cute. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Cute?:eek: Are you sure?

4036103939_281104d70e_o.jpg

In my opinion they're the most disgusting creatures, I'm scared of them. They have too many creepy legs, lol:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, whenever I look at this picture, I want to run away from the computer:p
I remember that there where many of these bugs in my garden when I was a child. I've always been scared of them.

Reaction score
I used to have them in my greenhouse. They are notorious for eating seeds that are just starting to germinate. They also attack weak seedlings. So it is possible that they might eat your vegetables too.

Ask a Question