New member "hello"!

Reaction score
Hi...I am a new member from Minnesota. I love perennial gardening, even with our short season. I have just restarted gardening after some health issues and am reclaiming a rather large rock garden from the over-growing weeds. I am going to make it into a fairy garden.....I figured that I needed a little whimsy and fantasy to make this challenging project a lot of fun and one that my grandchildren can participate in helping me with. I have already found several items at thrift stores to use as "fairy houses". It's really unbelievable how much fun I have had already just doing that! Some things are perfect as is...ceramic "house" canisters and cookie jars, and even a candle holder, plus some great "themed" bird houses that I'm really excited about. But, most of all, my friend says that I have a wonderful imagination when I find the most unlikely things and then describe to her what I will do with them to convert them to " fairy homes". Pinterest has been wonderful for ideas! People that I know, have been wonderful, too, donating building materials to me, like huge pine cones that can be dismantled to provide shingles for the roof, birch bark, twine, dried moss, etc...as well as a few neat branches with crooks that will be wonderful for building fairy treehouses in. Well....I have "talked" long enough. If you have any great " fairy garden" ideas.....or ideas of plants that I can use.....hopefully some winter hardy perennials for zone 4 or is it 4b now? .....let me know. I will try to post pictures as the project moves along, so I can share the wonderment that a little fantasy can provide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard! (y) I'd love to see some photos - pine cone roofs sound very fiddly!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the group. Your plans for your garden sound like so much fun. It is amazing what you can find at second hand stores that some people see as junk and you make something really special out of it. I call going to the goodwill my special place shopping.

Please share pictures when you get some.

Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a
Welcome to the forum! We look forward to learning all about Fairy gardens. I love the concept. The Hobbit movie oddly has some wonderful scenes that could give you a few ideas. The gardens in the Hobbits home are lovely! I like the idea of creating little 'worlds' in birdhouse baths or other garden objects. You can design bird houses to look like houses in a tiny wooded property with stones for pathways that have inspirational expressions on them. Succulents, ground cover, and the like make nice 'lawn' decorations. I think tiny details are nice for a Fairy garden. And it is like having a little doll house for them to live in. :)

Ask a Question