New member and new indoor grower.

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Hello fellow gardeners, I just setup a new project for this coming winter. What I like to do is grow some dwarf tomato and strawberries and probably some lettuce and herbs. Since this is my first, I will not have any idea if this will be successful. The LED light is full spectrum and 216W each and it is liquid passive cooling. I tested it and the heat that is generated 6" away from the bulb is about 70-75F the most. The light distance to the pot is about 24". During winter, the location temp is about 68F, with the heat now from the LED it will surely go around 70-75F and I plan to put humidifier also. The bulb produce 10,000 Lumens from 2" away and of course it is reduced as you move away. The question is, given all the spec that I wrote here, is this enough or not enough light?
34905569524_16ceeef690_h.jpg

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That seems a lot of expense in electricity and construction, you only need to put some seeds in a pot on the window sill and watch them grow.
Herbs will grow all year round, tomato seeds you can sow in February, strawberries,
depending on what type you buy will grow in a greenhouse,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
The bulb produce 10,000 Lumens from 2" away and of course it is reduced as you move away. The question is, given all the spec that I wrote here, is this enough or not enough light?
I believe it is enough.

you only need to put some seeds in a pot on the window sill and watch them grow.
I do not think it would be enough or optimal light for certain types of plants that require much light, especially indoors.

EDIT:
Welcome! (y)

Last edited:

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
That seems a lot of expense in electricity and construction, you only need to put some seeds in a pot on the window sill and watch them grow.
Herbs will grow all year round, tomato seeds you can sow in February, strawberries,
depending on what type you buy will grow in a greenhouse,

There is not much construction here, I assembled the shelving and attach the light fixtures plus it is now very neat without wires visible, assembly time spent is only 3hrs. I know herbs you dont need much light but berries and tomatoes are different. I also will use this to jumpstart some seeds ahead of spring for watermelon and canteloupes because I am on zone 6B

Last edited:

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I believe it is enough.

EDIT:
Welcome! (y)

Thanks for the welcome ^_^. I am now starting with only one light and put the herbs and strawberry together. I will watch and see if the strawberry will bear fruit in 30+ days or so...I will update here if successful..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Definitely an interesting concept, I dont see why it won't work. Only one way to find out, though. Looking forward to the updates.

Also, welcome!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
IMG_2371.JPG
Wires are neatly hidden now so it looks more minimalist..

Update on plants..
IMG_2379.JPG

Day 5 seems promising..I remember when i start to bring the pot inside that there were only couple of open flowers.. Now I see some berry and the white petal dried up.. will update again in 5 days..

Last edited:

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Update after almost 3 weeks now.. The fruit seems growing at a nice pace and no damage seen on leaves..I use a small fan to circulate the humidity pointing to the humidifier..

IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2442.JPG IMG_2443.JPG IMG_2444.JPG

Ask a Question