New Lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As soon as I have got rid of all the six foot weeds that have taken root in my new garden, I want to plant a nice lawn. I want to get a lawn seed that is strong and very green. I've never planted a lawn before and don't really have a clue how to do it properly. I would proably just scatter the seeds about and hope for the best or is there a special way to go about it, and what are the best lawn seeds to use.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I do not know the answer here, but I will just say that I would advise against the approach of "scatter the seeds about and hope for the best". Hopefully, a little research into the subject will reveal some tips and tricks as the best way to go about it, but I am imagining that there are some ways to make sure it is more effective. I am interested to hear what you find out, and thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
If you really want your lawn to spread all over your ground you really need to plant a piece of lawn which you will take from somwhere else you definitely need a piece. I do not really think that planting lawn seeds would be a good idea since it would be really hard for them to get attached to the ground, however, if you try what I'm telling you, it would be easier just with some water and sunlight, good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If seeding a new lawn, after soil preparation, spread the seeds and cover them with a couple of inches of straw. This prevents birds from picking off the seeds and the new grass will quickly grow up through the straw, which will then break down and enrich the soil.

I'm absolutely not a lawn expert...but many moons ago I seeded a smallish back yard that had crappy bare soil in a house I'd just bought. I had two big dogs and wanted grass that would hold up. A local garden center offered a wide range of different lawn seed mixes and I went with the priciest one, supposed to be suitable for football fields, parks and other heavy use. Was definitely worth the initial extra expense!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Start by killing everything that is growing. For this you will need a good vegetation killer like Round UP. Wait a few weeks then dig the yard up. A roto tiller is the way to go. Rake the yard smooth then get some good seed that is suitable for your area. Don't skim on the cost of the seed!!! Once the seeds are down rake them lightly into the soil but not very deep.Then put on starter fertilizer. Then water water water, If you let the new seed dry out once it germinates it will die. This is the time of the year to plant so you need to start soon. In the spring you are risking more weeds because you are opening the soil to everything that is airborne.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Remember buy good seed! Look at the ingredients and it will tell you how much weed that the mix includes. Also don't buy rye grass. It will grow quickly but die off. Some companies put rye in to help the lawn get established which is fine but don't get straight rye.

Ask a Question