New(ish) member

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't honestly say I'm completely new because I posted a query last week and got a very helpful response from Tetters.

I'm a very inexpert gardener with a small south facing garden in the West Midlands. I also have a larger garden in northern France, which I get to about 5 or 6 times a year. Because of covid this year, I haven't been to France since January so have given my English garden more attention that it's had for the last 20 summers!

I don't have space in the garden in the UK to grow vegetables, and I'm never in France at the right times or for long enough to grow them there, so I try to concentrate on flowers that give us plenty of colour - especially in the summer. I have to admit to being a fair weather gardener, and not over keen on the idea of being out there in all weathers!

My husband isn't really interested at all! But he does like a project, so we have taken down a large pyrocantha and are in the process of putting up trellises on the walls it was concealing.
I'll keep you posted on its progress!

Thank you in advance for all the advice and tips I'm sure I'm going to get in the coming months.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:shy: uh oh, it`s me again! I know it`s a bit too late, but I wouldn`t have taken the pyracantha out. It would have been better to prune it a bit in my opinion. That plant is excellent as a natural trellis, has flowers followed by wonderfully coloured berries of red, orange or yellow which are invaluable to the birds in the autumn. Never mind, maybe you`ll consider another one somewhere - they are lovely if kept in check.
1591169110324.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:shy: uh oh, it`s me again! I know it`s a bit too late, but I wouldn`t have taken the pyracantha out. It would have been better to prune it a bit in my opinion. That plant is excellent as a natural trellis, has flowers followed by wonderfully coloured berries of red, orange or yellow which are invaluable to the birds in the autumn. Never mind, maybe you`ll consider another one somewhere - they are lovely if kept in check. View attachment 66183

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my (our) defence - this one was very old, never flowered and therefore never had any berries, and was very ugly (in my opinion)! Also there are two more in other parts of the garden, so hopefully it they will still encourage the birds!

Ask a Question