New HF Greenhouse Panels

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I've had my HFGH 4 years plus maybe by now and the panels were discolored so I decided to replace the key ones. Found a decent price on some 4x2 panels as opposed to buying from Harbor Freight. Price was about the same and I'm hoping the quality might be a little better with these. Harbor Freight didn't have all the piece I wanted to replace either.

Sadly I didn't get much use out of the greenhouse last year so I clean it up a little too. I think every thing is ready to go, I might add a overhead cooling mister still. Looking forward to doing some planting this weekend as the weather is cooling. Might still be a few weeks before the greenhouse starts getting some trays. .

New roof panels
20161101_162300.jpg

Old Roof Panels
20161101_162413.jpg

All cleaned up and ready to go : )
20161101_162337.jpg

Tucked in between the house and a fence with shade cloth
20161101_162348.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, those did get yellow - It looks brand new now!

I've only had my HFGH for two years, but I'm already seeing there's a panel I need to replace - the little one in the vent window has a crack in it. I was planning on replacing my panels, when I do need to, with a thicker, UV resistant poly-carbonate panel rather than what came with the HF kit. The channels in the aluminum frame look as if they'd accommodate a thicker one and since I used caulk to set my panels in place (the clips didn't give me the airtight seal I need in central PA) I think I can do it. Since I notice you used the clips again (your poor fingers!), you probably had to stick with the same thickness, but I am glad to hear you can find other, reasonable sources for the poly-carbonate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Arielphf - Your are correct 4mil was as thick as I could go using the clips. I had bought a few sheet locally (6 or 8) and it would not work. There a few I didn't need to replace as they don't get a lot of sun or typically have shade cloth on them.

As far as temperatures pretty mild here. Funny you mention it because I have hands wore out before their years and your right it takes a toll. The other thing that does that is putting together 1/2' and 1/4" drip systems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The other thing that does that is putting together 1/2' and 1/4" drip systems.

I can SOOO relate....

My 17 y.o. son is very talented at putting dripline together. He got lots of practice when I made a hash of things!

Ask a Question