New Here, from Garden of England

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been ages since I registered and finally got around to creating my first post. I am sure there are plenty of nice people here. I have access to a rather large garden (by English standards) and it's been great to me during these pestilential times.

Also, I have loads of spare seeds and plants but no plant swap in my local area (as far as I know) which is sad. Not sure how active I'll be here but seems like a nice place. I imagine I'll visit from time to time share my experiences and get advice. e.g. those rose seeds I put in the refrigerator to germinate and not doing so well, which was a bit discouraging but then the lingonberry, red raspberry and blackberry are currently bearing fruit right now so that's good (though I only managed to harvest one measly cucamelon, sadly).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Thank you for the kind words. At the moment I'm thinking it's almost time to sow the chili seeds ready for next year. But more roses would be nice. I have some spare seeds so maybe I'll have another go. Obviously the ones already in the garden give seeds but it'd be nice to have some new colours!

P.S. Never sure which has more Scoville Heat Units, so I'll be sowing both Trinidad Moruga Scoprion and Carolina Reaper.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome, I take it the name means you are in Kent, I am just over the border in E. Sussex. Never heard of propagating roses from seed, I have done it from a bare stick cutting about nine inches long and heeled in to a spade cut at an angle about this time of year; know anyone doing some pruning?
I have loads of lavender cuttings, I stick my prunings in a pot and then select the ones that have taken next Spring. I used to give them to the school fete, but since the kids have left home and we moved just before the pandemic began I also have no-one to give them to, I am thinking of asking the local charity shops if they would like a few. Maybe planting a lavender hedge along the front of my veg patch, and if anyone would like a variegated box I have a few of them too. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome, I take it the name means you are in Kent, I am just over the border in E. Sussex. Never heard of propagating roses from seed, I have done it from a bare stick cutting about nine inches long and heeled in to a spade cut at an angle about this time of year; know anyone doing some pruning?
I have loads of lavender cuttings, I stick my prunings in a pot and then select the ones that have taken next Spring. I used to give them to the school fete, but since the kids have left home and we moved just before the pandemic began I also have no-one to give them to, I am thinking of asking the local charity shops if they would like a few. Maybe planting a lavender hedge along the front of my veg patch, and if anyone would like a variegated box I have a few of them too. :)
We found a new rose sapling growing the garden a couple of months ago, I imagine from some seeds which were dropped from a pod earlier in the year, which was nice. I have never thought about asking charity shops if they'd like plants. I know a guy who works for a charity shop (paid position, not a volunteer) so maybe I'll ask him next time I see him. We do have some lavender but I have to say that my favourite smell in the garden is that of the Strawberry Mint, or maybe the Chocolate Mint, which does actually smell like mint chocolate.

Also yes, Kent. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re- mint. I was listening to a lady on the radio who grew all sorts of special mints, amazing some of the smells she had, but she said that you have to keep them separate, she had tried making a medley in a single pot and they all lost their special smell and just smelled like mint, weird.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for kind messages. Yes, the mint is kept separate vases. We also have the usual wild lemon balm and I think apple mint growing wild too? In any case, I'll try and get some photographs sometime. There's always lots to do outside!

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
What's it like gardening in India? I really like the naja chili myself and magos are okay. I had a very nice naga curry from the Ghorkali resturant near me (admittedly not Indian).
Gardening is richer in regions nearer to Ghats or mountain ranges. Are you speaking of 'Ghost Chili' of Nagaland, Meghalaya? It's available in North East India. I live in South of India near to Bangalore. I haven't had the curry to taste. We have varieties of Mangoes grown in different zones of India. Sadly, for past two years there is a climate change affecting their grow.

Ask a Question