new grower pls help, avocado trees

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi i bought hass and sir prize avocado trees around 8 weeks ago, there both grafted and they looked great when i got them and both have alot of new growth but the leafs dont look to good, i transplanted both into 8 gallon pots with store bought soil and i live in fairfield CA, could some1 please let me know whats going on, THANK YOU!!

Attachments

• IMG-0060.jpg
    IMG-0060.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-0059.jpg
    IMG-0059.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-0058.jpg
    IMG-0058.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-0057.jpg
    IMG-0057.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-0055.jpg
    IMG-0055.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-0054.jpg
    IMG-0054.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-0053.jpg
    IMG-0053.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-0052.jpg
    IMG-0052.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b/6a
Country
United States
I've never grown avocados in particular but I can say anyone who comes here to answer your question will need a bit more info. How often have you been watering? Was the soil damp or dry when these issues started? Used any fertilizers or soil amendments? Moved from indoors to outdoors recently? Did this issue only start after the transplant? If so, how rough were you with the root ball? Was that browning on the leaves already there?

Plants can droop like that for many reasons and with some clarifications on those things I think me or someone else here should be able to get you pointed in the right direction at least. Based purely on the pics I'd guess overwatering is the culprit but that's just a guess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you!! ive been watering about every 4 days because weve been in the 100s, i work long hours so i have been watering a little extra so they dont dry out in the heat when im gone, theyve allways been outdoors, they both transplanted very easy no damage at all, the browning just started a couple weeks ago but its getting worse the brown areas are hard and ruff not smooth like the rest of the leafs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b/6a
Country
United States
I'll defer to someone else here who hopefully has some experience with avocados or is at least more familiar with tropical trees if they show up, but I'd still bet on a watering issue. With temps over 100 and watering every four days I wouldn't typically think it's overwatering, but that's really what it looks like in the pics. My surefire way to know when to water potted plants is to get familiar with what the pot should weigh with dry soil and with saturated soil, then a simple lift of the pot can definitively tell you how much water is in there. Besides, most plants recover quickly from underwatering, a wilting plant that hasn't dried out will typically perk right back up with water. Overwatered plants are much harder to recover once they're showing signs of problems.

So, barring anyone else more knowledgeable showing up and saying otherwise... I'd say if you can stick your finger in the soil and feel dampness go ahead and skip watering until the soil dries out a bit then water thoroughly, let the soil dry again, then repeat. If it's not that then you may have a tougher to diagnose and fix problem, like a virus or fungus. If you knew for sure it was overwatering there's all sorts of ways suggested to address that beyond just stopping watering, but I have no experience with them so I can't vouch for any particular method.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you very much!!! ill lift the pot for weight and test with my finger, i just stirred up the soil on top its moist a couple inchs down, thanks again!!

Ask a Question