New Garlic Grower

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does anyone have any advice on growing garlic? I'm growing it inside as of right now. Am I supposed to cut the green stems back? I love garlic and am hoping to get a good amount out of this.

TIA for any advice!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You had better do some reading. Garlic is planted in the Fall and is harvested about July of the following year. You are in Zone 6 so this applies. It is probably the easiest vegetable to grow, and takes up little space, and requires almost no care.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/August%202015/2%20August%202015%20Garlic%20Harvested/HTML/ 2 August 2015 Garlic Harvested
About 80 bulbs of garlic was harvested. The seed scapes were removed which is usually done earlier. The bulbs were hung in the shed to dry duration for about three weeks then will be trimmed for storage. Eight bulbs were left in the ground so the seed pods can mature. They are covered with gauze to contain the seeds, since they disperse when ripe rather quickly. The seeds are called bulbils which are small clones of the bulb in the ground.

dsc_58302%20august%202015%20garlic%20harvested_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks!

I have read that they should be planted in the fall, but I don't intend to put them into the ground...at least not this year. I have a very limited space back in my yard, so I was planning keeping them in planters for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
A bed 8 by 8 feet will be more than enough room for over 100 plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Holy cow! That's a LOT of garlic. That size bed would also take up almost my entire yard. My kids would not appreciate that. LOL My beds, in which I plant 3 kinds of tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary, peppers, and 2 kinds of strawberries (they stay there year round,) are maybe 2 feet wide and go across the back & side of my yard.

Ask a Question