New garden, start now or wait?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just moved to the St Louis MO area from the Mobile AL area. Obviously a vast difference in climates. I was able to grow things year round there and there were things I could plant this time of year. Here I don't know - start something now or wait until springtime? I have an acre and a quarter and a friend who will till me up as big a patch as I can handle. Just not sure what I am doing with this drastic climate change.

Not a fan of four seasons here but I have them now so I need to learn how to deal with them.

Reaction score
I am located in central Illinois, so your climate is very similar to mine. I plan on a growing season from about mid-April to mid-October, but that is no guarantee for frost free days. For plants with a long growing season, starting early with seed trays indoors will allow you to extend the season. As for planting this year, you could still plant and harvest a few vegetables such as radishes and leaf lettuce, arugula and kale. Peas also love cool weather. Perhaps just a small garden plot to celebrate the challenge of your new home and climate. What plants were your favorites in Alabama?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all,

I've just moved to the St Louis MO area from the Mobile AL area. Obviously a vast difference in climates. I was able to grow things year round there and there were things I could plant this time of year. Here I don't know - start something now or wait until springtime? I have an acre and a quarter and a friend who will till me up as big a patch as I can handle. Just not sure what I am doing with this drastic climate change.

Not a fan of four seasons here but I have them now so I need to learn how to deal with them.
I would till it up now and get the soil ready for spring. In fact I would till it up, fertilizer with a good organic fertilizer and till in the fertilizer. Then I would water in a solution of 2 Oz of molasses per gallon of water on top. Come spring you will have a headstart

Reaction score
I am located in central Illinois, so your climate is very similar to mine. I plan on a growing season from about mid-April to mid-October, but that is no guarantee for frost free days. For plants with a long growing season, starting early with seed trays indoors will allow you to extend the season. As for planting this year, you could still plant and harvest a few vegetables such as radishes and leaf lettuce, arugula and kale. Peas also love cool weather. Perhaps just a small garden plot to celebrate the challenge of your new home and climate. What plants were your favorites in Alabama?

Peppers were my favorite because they would usually grow for at least several years, though the blooms all fell off during the hottest months. I also had good luck with tomatoes this past year, as well as various herbs. I did pretty well with summer squash as well. Had problems with cucumbers which was a bummer as they are my absolute favorite. The friend I am living with is really anxious for me to grow things so she can preserve them.

Reaction score
Peppers, squash, tomatoes and cucumbers and several types of herbs should all provide you with a good harvest next year. Because we have our freezing winters, peppers are grown as an annual. But that doesn't need to stop you from container growing if you have a warm sunny place to bring them in during the cold months. I think you will be happy with your new garden as soon as you've adjusted to the climate. In the meantime, prepare to plan and dream of gardening during the winter months. When the seed catalogs arrive in early January, they are a welcome sight!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Chuck, till the soil now, get it ready for the spring so you know the soil is in good condition. As you adjust to the new climate will you can add on more plants.

Reaction score
I'm in central Missouri. I agree with the other posters I would start getting the ground ready for spring now. If you till and amend the soil now, then cover it well with a thick layer of straw so weeds don't sprout as easily, the ground will be in good condition in the spring and you will never have to till again. You can just turn it with a spade fork. If you don't keep the ground covered, it will dry out and everything will grow back and you will have to till over and over. Once you get your garden in in the spring keep mulch of some sort over the soil to keep the weeds down. If you really need to grow something now get some planters and sow some lettuce, spinach and kale. They like the cold fall temps and will last a long time.

Reaction score
TDolce, it is a good idea to bring the peppers in in the winter. Will they still produce fruit inside? I have grown them in containers but never brought them inside. It seems it gets very hot here in the summer, do yall also have problems with the pepper flowers falling off because it is too hot? Thank you everyone else on the advice on soil preparation. I seem to live in a relatively rural area so straw should be easy to find. There is a feed store 3 miles from here.

Reaction score
TDolce, it is a good idea to bring the peppers in in the winter. Will they still produce fruit inside? I have grown them in containers but never brought them inside. It seems it gets very hot here in the summer, do yall also have problems with the pepper flowers falling off because it is too hot? Thank you everyone else on the advice on soil preparation. I seem to live in a relatively rural area so straw should be easy to find. There is a feed store 3 miles from here.

Peppers need a lot of light, unless you have a good sunny place to keep them they won't grow well for you. Your best best is to wait until spring and then flash freeze any you can't use fresh.

Reaction score
Thanks all. I have some "heated greenhouses". Really they are small seed starters but have an electrical cord to heat them to keep the soil warm. Given this, how early can I start seeds (inside)?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would till it up now and get the soil ready for spring. In fact I would till it up, fertilizer with a good organic fertilizer and till in the fertilizer. Then I would water in a solution of 2 Oz of molasses per gallon of water on top. Come spring you will have a headstart
If the soil hasn't been cultivated in years, that's begging for a carpet of weeds, as millions of seeds will be waiting in the soil, just begging for a little rain and warmth to germinate, and you'll have fertilised the soil for them.

Keeping the soil occupied by plants YOU choose has a number of advantages:

1) You can sow a green manure and dig it in prior to planting, benefitting the soil.
2) Mycorrhizae need plants in the ground to give them the carbohydrate they need to survive,
3) You will not be so heavily colonised with weeds.

Apart from manure, I never fertilise longer than week before intended sowing/planting time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks all. I have some "heated greenhouses". Really they are small seed starters but have an electrical cord to heat them to keep the soil warm. Given this, how early can I start seeds (inside)?
If I understand your question you want to start your seed indoors and then plant them this spring? If so, start your seeds 4-6 weeks before your average last frost

Ask a Question