New Fruit Trees

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just wanted to post some pictures of my brand new fruit trees. This is a new endevour for me and I'm learning it is a lot of work, but hopefully with some good rewards.
0318171633.jpg
0318171633a.jpg
0318171633b.jpg
0318171633c.jpg
0318171634.jpg
0318171635.jpg
0318171635a.jpg
0318171635d.jpg
0318171635e.jpg
0318171636.jpg
0318171636a.jpg

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
1. First 3 are thornless blackbury bushes, can't believe they have already for leaves in them
2. Next 2 are blueberry bushes
3. Next is Golden delicious apple tree with a bloom in it
4. Next is a Georgia Belle Peach tree, it just started having tiny little buds
5. Next is a Hale Haven Peach, really happy with its progress
6. Next is a Elberta, it's doing best of all, had no blooms or leaves when I planted it.
7. The last one is a jubilee Peach, it's brand new just planted it today.

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey guys
Just a quick question, the 6th picture is a apple tree and I have been wondering if I need to top that tree a little. It is very tall and only has blooms on the 3 lowes branches. Do you guys think it would be beneficial to trim the tips a little or is this tree to young right now to even consider that
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I would cut off. Above the external (not internal) bud on the plant in this case.

0318171635.jpg

You can see later if the leaves grow on these shoots. This will give a new benchmark for pruning.

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey Larisa
So do you mean cut off everything above the blooms? About where the second piece of red tape is from the bottom?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Hey Larisa
So do you mean cut off everything above the blooms? About where the second piece of red tape is from the bottom?

Yes, cut the top branches as I noted. The lowest branch should be removed altogether.
Ideally, when my apple trees grow, I leave the lower branches on the trunk at a distance of 70 cm (about 30 inches) from the ground.

Edit is great!

Nobody argues! :D

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok so I wanted y'all to take a quick look at this and tell me what you think. The picture bellow is of my blueberry bush, it looks to me like it's drying out but my wife thinks it is just about to produce little baby blueberries. Some of the bush has little white flowers and some of them are a blue purple color. I am hoping I am wrong and it's not drying out. I am religious about watering them every other day.

0328171903.jpg
0328171904.jpg

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would cut off. Above the external (not internal) bud on the plant in this case.

View attachment 17509

You can see later if the leaves grow on these shoots. This will give a new benchmark for pruning.
Hey Larisa
Well I just noticed that I didn't cut the top shoots off exactly how you had said. I didn't stagger the cuts, I just noticed that, but I wanted to send you new updates picture of the tree. As you can see there are a ton of new buds coming off the shoots, I am so excited. Thank you for the help.
0404171851.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It looks to me that the fruit trees are really going to town and seem to be enthusiastic growers:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Jamie Calloway
Excellent! :) Now you can see that after trimming the most active ones are the upper buds. They will now form the crown.

Formation of the apple tree crown:

Regulates growth and fruiting;
Controls the quantity and quality of the fruit;
Provides the convenience of collecting apples.

. Typically, gardeners try to trim the branches of the tree at different levels so that the crown of the tree does not form too thick.

Like that.
obrezka-yabloni.jpg

I'm sure you will be able to harvest a good harvest in the future! :)

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Should I be worried about these branches that are growing closer to the bottom? They seem to be very heavy, I'm afraid the branches are going to start slouching. I looked at the great diagram above. Should I trim them back a little now or wait? Here is a picture of two Apple trees with the same issues. Thank you so much for the great article I snap shot it to save it to my phone.
0408171458.jpg
0408171457.jpg

Ask a Question