Need some honest advice/critique on balcony garden.

cschiavoni

Caitlin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your balcony garden looks so good, before the cat got to them :) I love the herbs in your planter. I am somewhat in the same boat, and can only grow small things in containers on my deck. I have peppermint, spearmint, chocolate mint, Thai basil, Italian basil, and lavender. I also grow green onion, and baby bok choy! They seem to do well. I only feed them used coffee ground, but looking in organic compost to add into the pots.

That looks great!!! We seem to have similar taste growing many of the same things! It's so much fun.

cschiavoni

Caitlin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Took a few progress pictures today:

Peppers starting to do their thing

Zucchini plant has come a long way in quite a short period of time compared to the original photo on this thread

Here you can see the very beginnings of the bok choy I plan to thin

And you can just barely see the beginnings of shoots for the bunching onions here

cschiavoni

Caitlin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to keep coming back with questions. Anyone have advice on when to thin the bok choy? I have about 13 seedlings that have germinated, all around 1-2 inches tall now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry to keep coming back with questions. Anyone have advice on when to thin the bok choy? I have about 13 seedlings that have germinated, all around 1-2 inches tall now.

I've never grown bok choy, but you do need to be ruthless with thinning. Let the strongest survive, ;). Remove the smaller ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with container gardening and growing anything on a balcony, but I just wanted to tell you that everything looks great. I'm really impressed with how much you're able to grow on a balcony of that size and don't worry about asking too many questions, this is what this forums is for.

As a person that grows blackberries, I'm really interested in seeing how well they will do. They'll need something deeper to grow in because their roots like to spread out, and you should move the plant before the roots get really established because it could send the plant in tremendous shock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It would be fun to grow Bok Choy. I never tried growing any kind of cabbage, but I have grown leaf lettuce with great success. It is quite easy to grow. I think the Bok Choyt would be a novel thing. I am not sure, but cabbage is kind of a cool weather vegetable and Bok Choy maybe the same. I am thinking you might want to plant it a bit later in the year, but not sure about that.

Ask a Question