Need some advice on this spot...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Hey folks,

So I planted all this stuff in August 2015. At the time, I thought it was great. Now, now so much! I am in Zone 5 (Ontario, Canada) and I would appreciate some tips on how I can amend this site. I planted a red oak in the middle as you can see. But I do not like the arrangement of shrubs. I think there is something imbalanced/off about. Since then I've learned that generally one should plant in odd numbers or single specimens. I am not sure what I've done here! The grasses on the flanks of the bed seem too imposing too. What could I do to amend it? I am willing to pull stuff out and add. Maybe it's a matter of simplifying? Anyhow, my goal was to have some plantings around the small oak until it grew bigger. What about adding some evergreen shrubs? I am not to keen on planting too many (if any) flowering perennials unless someone can change my mind! In terms of shrubs, I am partial to spireas, fothergilla, blue star junipers, perhaps small yews, and the like, but I am open to other suggestions. Spireas are used a lot but they are hardy, reliable and neat looking. I am open to making the bed smaller, too. I think I made it too large (about 24' x 15' I think?). The spot gets full sun and it is on the clayish side but a fair bit of good triple mix soil was added at the time. Thoughts? Thank you kindly in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi Splaker. I do understand your dilemma. When starting out I too planted things and they grew too big or the wrong shape (to suit the spot), or too small or too tall and so on. The lesson too about the 1 or 3 number planting plus the repeat planting!!! Its a lot to keep in mind and I think a never ending battle, but such a rewarding one. You're probably right about the grasses being a bit big. Could they be planted on either side of a doorway or your driveway. You could always put on arch some where and put them on either side. I do love an archway:love:. I have 3 and am contemplating a 3rd.
Liriopes have a nice strappy look if you after that and from my experience don't grow too big. Maybe about 5 of them scattered in your bed.
I have a Pretty in Pink hebe on the edge of my cottage garden which I've loved but it's too big now so will probably have to go. I may try cutting it back, a lot:confused:, but I don't know how it will like it. Always a work in progress hey! Good luck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Splaker, Sounds to me like your wishing you had planted in a more Informal manner. What you have designed from what I see looks more Formal, as it is a garden laid out with complete regularity numbers & a kind of even order about it. I think the grasses look great but that does not mean I'm suggesting you keep them. you have options with them....

1 you could Split them in winter ( I normally divide plants by pushing too garden fork's into the middle of them, after digging them up. Then slitting them by pushing the too handles together . you could even uses a spade if you don't have a pair of forks as grass plants are tuff things and can take a chop or too).

2 you could move them as Deborah Suggests.

3 Grasses can also be cut back to the ground to start again each year. That way, they will Keep a fresh look about them & they will not be imposing till end of summer.

I Love personally mixing both Formal and informal together. If you was to see my garden you could see what I Mean. I'm sure your get plenty of tips on here & many wanting to suggest a new look. Now is a good time to move plants as spring is I guess for you not to far away. Good luck & if you like Spireas look around there are many variety's available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
Thank you folks... People around here do cut grasses right down to just above ground level in early spring (late March for me). The grasses are too imposing. That pic is from early/mid August. By early Sept they were even bigger. The poor little oak was overwhelmed!

Still think i may need an evergreen or two.. I am also thinking of making the bed smaller.. maybe to 50% smaller then just have afew shrubs arounf the oak. I know, a big reversal from what I did. I am learning as I go along.

Once I figure what I will do here I'll post pics of my backyard! That's an even bigger project

keep the suggestions going!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I actually think your bed looks just fine. And I like the grass; in a couple of years it will appear smaller. :):

My first thought for any change was to add ground cover to fill in all the fake-red mulch. Like vinca or thymus...It would cover up all that fake-looking dyed red mulch and make your bed look more natural and spontaneous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/4b (Canadian Zone)
Country
Canada
I actually think your bed looks just fine. And I like the grass; in a couple of years it will appear smaller. :):

My first thought for any change was to add ground cover to fill in all the fake-red mulch. Like vinca or thymus...It would cover up all that fake-looking dyed red mulch and make your bed look more natural and spontaneous.

The mulch looks sort red but it's not. It's a natural colored brown "cedar mulch" and I have a love hate relationship with it! Weeds actually appear more visble with it. Its supposed to suppress weed growth but someone forgot to tell the dandelion and thistle

Ask a Question