Need Help with Planting along a Fence in the Shade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4/5
Country
United States
Two years ago, our town put in a nice sidewalk in front of our house. They planted "grass" but nothing grew from it but weeds. The space is about 50 feet long, and about 4 feet from the white picket style fence we have.

My dilemma is the shade! There are two big red maples inside each corner of the yard, causing the whole area to receive very little sun. I'm in zone 5 and I'm sure that the ground there receives a good amount of salt in the winter from the road. My only idea is hostas, but I'm not a fan of just a hosta border. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance!!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not a Hosta fan. I'd suggest trying Ferns. There are a lot of different kinds with different looks and sizes. You could also consider mixing in some Wild Ginger. It looks great as it gets bigger each year. Sweet Woodruff is also a great groundcover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you're looking for ground cover then periwinkles are lovely! They like shade, and are quite prolific. You end up with a carpet of blue flowers :)

Ask a Question