Need help with my Orchid!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got an orchid plant for Mother's Day and the flowers are already starting to brown. It came potted and I gave it some water yesterday as the soil was feeling dry. The tag also said to give it filtered light, so I am doing that as well. The leaves look healthy, and there are new ones starting to poke through, but a few of the flowers are dying. Is this normal? If not, what should I do now so I don't lose my plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you have got new leaves sprouting then that's a good sign. What type of orchid is it? From my experience sometimes an orchid will lose some blooms when it produces a new leaf - it's almost like the effort of doing so means something's gotta give! If you think it doesn't look healthy then perhaps try moving it to another spot. The orchid that I have that is doing the best is on a window sill behind a venetian blind - so it's bright but doesn't get any direct sunlight. They like a good misting of water too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for your response. It is a Waterfall Pansy Orchid. I inspected it again this morning and there are new blooms starting to form, so your theory sounds like what is happening. I just don't want to to die...it is beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They are quite slow growers, I've had buds on my orchid for months that are only now opening up. If you've got new leaves and new buds then I'd leave the orchid where it is as it seems to be happy :)

Ask a Question