Need help with growing a tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all, I'm new to the forum, over the last few years I've really got into gardening, I have been trying to grow a tree for a few years, first by planting a sapling ( if that's the correct terminology) I purchased. In the fall last year me and my little girl picked acorns and conkers and planted them in pots, lo and behold one has sprouted but I have no idea what to do now, I will try and attach a photo graph. Should I support it by placing a stick and loose cable tie to keep the tree upright or just leave it be? Also what should i do in the winter months, bring it inside or put it in a shelterd area, basically if anyone has any advise they can give I would be very thankful for! Also does anyone know what tree it is is it an oak or conker or would it be too early on at the moment to decipher? I really hope its not a weed that's growing haha! Thank you in advance, regards, Paul

Attachments

• 20200427_193104.jpg
    20200427_193104.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! You have a nice start there and if you give it a little time it should grow into a nice tree. Don't stake with a stake and don't over water it and it should grow nicely. Keep it in full sun and out of the cold and you will be ok. Someone else will come along and make some more suggestions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! You have a nice start there and if you give it a little time it should grow into a nice tree. Don't stake with a stake and don't over water it and it should grow nicely. Keep it in full sun and out of the cold and you will be ok. Someone else will come along and make some more suggestions.
Thank you very much for your reply and the information, lucky it seems to be a nice summer, il leave it in the barrel for now and see how it gets on!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think it might be a buckeye (conker). It seems to have a compound leaf which rules out oak.

Otherwise I agree with Oneeye that it doesn’t need a stake, trees are much stronger without them. Since it’s a garden tree it should be just fine outside all year round.

Enjoy the adventure of gardening!

Ask a Question