Need help with avocado tree :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I need help with my avocado tree. 2 years ago I bought a new house with 2 huge, tall avocado tree in the back yard and at that time there were green and produced lots of fruits. I can't determine the age and the previous owner said they were very old because they were there when he was little. When the drought hit south California, my dad decided to reduce the amount of water for watering, so we set the schedule of watering system as 10 minutes everyday, since the time we bought the house. Right now, we see that it isn't a good idea because the tree look weak, brown tip on leaves and produces less fruits. I check on internet and it's maybe the salt burn. So I want to set the watering system again. Many people say that it's good to water the avocado tree deeply and slowly by leaving the faucet on the ground for 30-45 minutes, 2-3 days per week. Is it true ? and is the rule of thumb that you don't water the avocado tree when the soil is damp ? just wait for the soil to dry and water it ?
Please give me your best advice. Thank you and sorry for the long post :(
P/s: I also attack some pictures to let you guys know the status of the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I need help with my avocado tree. 2 years ago I bought a new house with 2 huge, tall avocado tree in the back yard and at that time there were green and produced lots of fruits. I can't determine the age and the previous owner said they were very old because they were there when he was little. When the drought hit south California, my dad decided to reduce the amount of water for watering, so we set the schedule of watering system as 10 minutes everyday, since the time we bought the house. Right now, we see that it isn't a good idea because the tree look weak, brown tip on leaves and produces less fruits. I check on internet and it's maybe the salt burn. So I want to set the watering system again. Many people say that it's good to water the avocado tree deeply and slowly by leaving the faucet on the ground for 30-45 minutes, 2-3 days per week. Is it true ? and is the rule of thumb that you don't water the avocado tree when the soil is damp ? just wait for the soil to dry and water it ?
Please give me your best advice. Thank you and sorry for the long post :(
P/s: I also attack some pictures to let you guys know the status of the tree.
You barely get the top 2 or 3 inches damp @ 10 minutes per day. Trees need deep, deep watering. I would water with a tiny stream from the hose at least 3 hours and out to the drip line of the tree. One good watering will last quite awhile. And if the soil is damp why would you water anything as water is already there for the root to uptake. You must make sure that the soil is damp down where the roots are not just on the surface. Water a tree only when the soil is DRY about 3-5 inches deep and when you water, water enough to completely saturate the soil out to the drip line, all the way around the tree. It may seem like a lot of water but in reality it isn't all that much. Especially when avacados are $.50-$1.00 each at the store. Remember that you cannot over water a plant but you can and will kill a plant by watering too often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Like what chuck said.

Very liitle will be happy with that water schedule. Even without knowing your water requirements (location - soil...) you would be far better off water 1 time a week for 70 minutes than 7 times 10 minutes. With most plants depth of watering is far more important than frequency.

Yes, pretty much cycle to dry. Avacados are very mositure sensitive and need excellent drainage (which you must have given their size 0 growth to this point). They do not tolerate constantly damp roots. You could set up a basic (manual) drip system for the avacados for $20.

All that said your fathers intention of conserving water is a good one. That and I want to buy my avacado's where Chuck does, around here $1.50 plus and quality has been suspect at times.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your advice, I watered one of my trees yesterday with the small stream for 1 hour. The soil hold the water very well, so I wouldn't water it longer. I think I will water it next week. Hope to see some improvement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
A suggestion. Don't water by the calender. water by the plants need. Let it cycle to about dry in the upper soil level as Chuck suggests. Good Luck and good to see you check back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A suggestion. Don't water by the calender. water by the plants need. Let it cycle to about dry in the upper soil level as Chuck suggests. Good Luck and good to see you check back.

I agree as some days are much warmer than others -- especially this time of year.
Watering by calendar days just doesn't seem consistent unless you have consistent weather . :p

Ask a Question