Need help to identify Acorn Squash Hybrid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! (location: Northern Ohio)
I grew a bunch of plants out of a pile of compost. This compost comes from the kitchen/dining activities of the previous year so there's some variation in what decides to sprout up out of it. So far I've gotten many tomatoes and squash. Some of the squash are pumpkins and some are butternut squash, and some are acorn squash.

This particular plant has two very strange looking acorn squash. They have the right shape except they appear to be smashed downwards in their shape, so instead of being normally spherical, they are closer to being like a pie/pancake. Photo below:
DUvQEmO.jpeg

I did not realize this was not an acorn squash until the real acorn squashes started appearing. They are closer to a spherical shape and their stems are dark green, whereas this hybrid just has a normal green stem that looks the same color as the rest of the green vine of the plant(at least, until now when it's starting to shrivel and gray).

This is the same squash earlier this year:

0ahpFjV.jpeg

So it started off white(light-green), then turned dark green, and now there are a bunch of small yellow spots appearing all over, which makes it clear that it's not a normal acorn squash. Does anyone know if there is a name for this hybrid? Or would it just be called a random hybrid? If anyone can advise me on when to harvest these I'd appreciate that as well. I know with acorn squashes the rind should be hard so you will have difficulty cutting it with your fingernail, but these are still soft.

Thanks.

-John

Reaction score
Country
United States
Random cross pollination is a good guess, but it could also be from a seed that landed in the wrong envelope. It will be good to see the fruit when they are completely mature.

Ask a Question