Need help identifying a tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Any help in figuring out the name of this tree would be much appreciated! It was in our garden when we moved in to the house 3.5 years ago. Here are some photos:

The seed pods before they open:
20140811_091248.jpg

The leaves in spring:
20140811_091255.jpg

The tree as it currently looks:
20150920_133041.jpg

The leaves now:
20150920_133056.jpg

Seed pods:
20150920_133123.jpg

Seed pods with seeds still hanging from it:
20150920_133230.jpg

We'd love to know the type of tree as a few people have seen it and wanted to get one themselves.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Lovely Euonymus you have there Becky but are they gardeners hands????;) I would have to get a stand in hand model to display my plants. :confused: You must be very vigilant wearing gloves. In fact we recently met a friend of a friend who is an avid gardener and has lovely hands and nails like yours and she wears 2 pairs of gloves when she is gardening!!! I do wear gloves when I know I'm going to garden but sometimes it just takes over and before I know it my nails are dirt ridden. Actually since I've been gardening, must be nigh on 5 years now;), I have noted that my nails are much stronger. I've wondered if it's the fresh air and sunshine, people have asked if I've been on a holiday because of my suntan. Nails not so at the moment I guess because of winter. I'll be interested to note if things change once I'm outside daily again, sooooo looking forward to it. I've had a few days but very wet and cold again this week.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was gonna say Spindleberry but I got all excited :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We have one which has white fruits and seeds. Like Silver Surfer, we like them and have a few. Ee. alatus, planipes, Red Cascade and others whose names escape me at present, though not the one S.S. mentions. Never seen that one on sale anywhere or we would probably have it.
E, hamiltonii comes to mind.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly Bluebell Nurseries are a fair distance from us, down the M54, M6, M69 and along the M1 (I think) or through Market Drayton and Stoke and various other towns, not a nice drive.
Even more sad is that we have run out of room for more shrubs.
Thanks all the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant, thanks so much for the help with this! :D I've been taking a look at the different varieties of Euonymus and I think mine is Euonymus planipes

Now just got to tell everyone who has seen it and wanted one ;)

Lovely Euonymus you have there Becky but are they gardeners hands????;) I would have to get a stand in hand model to display my plants. :confused: You must be very vigilant wearing gloves. In fact we recently met a friend of a friend who is an avid gardener and has lovely hands and nails like yours and she wears 2 pairs of gloves when she is gardening!!! I do wear gloves when I know I'm going to garden but sometimes it just takes over and before I know it my nails are dirt ridden. Actually since I've been gardening, must be nigh on 5 years now;), I have noted that my nails are much stronger. I've wondered if it's the fresh air and sunshine, people have asked if I've been on a holiday because of my suntan. Nails not so at the moment I guess because of winter. I'll be interested to note if things change once I'm outside daily again, sooooo looking forward to it. I've had a few days but very wet and cold again this week.

Haha thank you for the compliment! There are a few factors at play here - I can't do any grunt work in the garden because of my back, so Ian does it all. I am the mastermind, pruner, feeder and weeder. And yes I always wear gloves! Finally, my nails finish right at the end of my finger tips, so they often look longer than they are.

I have spindly fingers to go with my Spindle Tree :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Becky, are those your hands? If so I must say you have really beautiful hands! I love nail art, so I have seen plenty of hands and nails, yours look very thin and graceful :love: Love the shape of your nails and the fact you keep them long, so elegant! Ever since I started keeping mine long I can't help but to pay attention to everyone else's nails and hands :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The tree is beautiful and interesting to see, but like @DeborahJane your hand also caught my attention and I thought: she has a beautiful hand there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's good to know, I might try and grow some from seed (y)

Ask a Question