Need help for Rose plant

Reaction score
Country
India
Honestly, I am pretty bad at growing roses.....
As a plant lover it frustrates me too much.

Summer at its peak now in India.

The new upcoming leaves of my rose plants look like they are burnt in heat(not sure though).

I've attached the pictures.

Kindly help me to cure it.

Attachments

• Rose1.jpg
    Rose1.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Rose2.jpg
    Rose2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
From the photos it seems your roses are backed by a stone/cement wall. That is reflected heat in addition to the normal summer heat. Put some kind of shade over the roses so they won't get afternoon sun, and try misting them to cool them down in mid-afternoon.
When your temperatures lessen in fall, move the roses to where they will not be getting reflected heat from a wall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Can't tell if it is the additional heat, or a disease. After you shade the roses in the afternoon, and mist, and if the leaves still show the same effect, we can start on determining a disease.

Reaction score
Honestly, I am pretty bad at growing roses.....
As a plant lover it frustrates me too much.

Summer at its peak now in India.

The new upcoming leaves of my rose plants look like they are burnt in heat(not sure though).

I've attached the pictures.

Kindly help me to cure it.

I'm not altogether sure that I would agree that it is the heat that is the cause of your problem - particularly as I grow roses in a climate where temperatures reach well over 45 centigrade in the summer and have never experienced the same problem or ever needed to provide shade - as all my roses thrive and do extremely well in full sun.

Apart from a disease the only other thing I can think of that may be causing the problem - is that of moisture on the leaves left by watering - which could be the case if you watering the whole plant rather than just at the base below the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
India
@gata montes :
I guess your rose plants may be in a soil garden.....I mean your garden floor maybe full of soil.
My garden floor is of concrete cement with roses planted alongside boundary wall.
I've heard people saying that roses need soil gardens which would provide them a cooler environment.
Do I miss a trick here ?

And also misting would provide moisture to the leaves, shouldn't the rose plants be misted ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Rose do want a sunny spot, but the refracted heat (heat coming back, heat being reflected back off the wall) could be too much. Roses like water, but not on the foliage, excess water on the foliage will cause rust among other things.

Both the refracted heat and excess water would be abiotic (not associated with or derived from living organisms) plant problems that if not addressed open the door to biotic (associated with or derived from living organisms) problems.

• I would ensure that the wall is not generating excessive heat, if so cover it with shade cloth.
  • Don't water the rose foliage, only the ground.
  • Make sure the roses are getting the appropriate amount of water, the pictures make the area look like a damp. Roses don't want constantly damp soil. Cycle moist to almost dry then top moist again...
  • Make sure there is air circulation for the roses.
  • Make sure you giving the roses nutrients as appropriate for the season.

It also looks like the roses are sharing space with other plants, I don't think that is typical, most of the time roses are in beds pretty too themselves, or at least they get their needed space. It also looks like the soil is typically damp due to the watering needs of the other plants, having plants with different watering needs in the same space will result in some of the plants being unhappy.

Better pictures of the bed and soil would be most helpful, Often the issue with the plant is not due to the plant itself, but the environment it's in and were not seeing all of that, just the wall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Greenhorn pretty much. :) The fact that the rose is growing against a wall will not help it's growth. Quite often the soil in this type of area lacks nutrients and water deep down because rainfall doesn't reach the area. I would suggest you clear plants from the base of the rose so that it's not vying for food and water. Roses are hungry and thirsty plants. My gardens have sandy soil which means they don't retain nutrients or water and if it doesn't rain for a week I let a hose run on the bed they are in being careful not to touch leaves as it damages them, I would never mist roses either for the same reason. However rainwater isn't an issue. I also need to feed them more often.

Don't forget when plants are given a lot of water it means that nutrients are being washed through the soil. I think you need to feed the rose at least three times during the growing season and keep it watered. It would also help to get compost dug into the soil as this will help retain water and nutrients for the roots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I am having the same problem.I am waiting for rains and they will come up. It has happened in the past.

Ask a Question