Need direction

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need so much direction but let me start here. I picked out a bunch of flowers to plant this summer and didn’t have much luck, thry were all beautiful but nothing grew huge and amazed me. Now I’m wondering what people do with perennials? I’m in Boston and I have an urban patio so I’m confused as to what I need to do. Do I just consider them gone? I believe so but I’m not sure.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@Sugarmags , Hello

I'm trying to understand the situation here, so you grew some perennials, but they did not live up to your expectations?
And you're not sure what to do with them now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perennial plants like to be in the soil rather than pots. They get bigger and better each year only if they have room for their roots.
Generally, when the flowers fade, cut those dead heads off and you will often get more flowers to follow. When all the flowering is finished, cut the plants down low to the ground, keep free of weeds, and add mulch around them. Next year when they start all over again , give them a feed.
You will only get out of a garden what you are prepared to put into it.

Finally, welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@Tetters, wish I had enough space to plant some Perennial plants... Unfortunately, all I have are 2 quite small balconies. (sort of satisfied for now).
Maybe one day...

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Sugarmags , Hello

I'm trying to understand the situation here, so you grew some perennials, but they did not live up to your expectations?
And you're not sure what to do with them now?
Yes. Precisely. Do I try to preserve any since they could get another year or consider them a loss bc they never lived up to expectation? They are alive and I’m sort of trying to see what I can still do (and learn) as far as trimming,etc. They are in pots but people do have beautiful pots with overflowing flowers.
We also got a bunch of consecutive rain this summer which also wasn’t good for much. I get confused if I should count the rain as a full watering. I’m very much trying to learn.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I think you should have a moment, and plan something for the next year or so.
If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned that you have a patio - now, if the patio is small, and the perennial plants take a lot of space, see if you want to keep them or decide to get something different. if they take small space, and the patio is big, try and keep them.

I agree that plants are alive, and I never have thrown or killed a plant just because I don't want it, or can't take care of it anymore, I (personally) usually put plants that are sick, on the deathbed, or generally quite old or in bad shape, in the public garden near my house, or drive them to my father's place. I really don't want you to make decision just because of me, and my situation.

You see, I only have 2 quite small balconies in my house, which is located in the middle of the town, no space at all. Also, Job and university, create a situation that I can't afford to take care of the Garden every single day. Because of that, I try to have only plants that I really want, and plants that promise to be successful. I know it's a bit harsh, but don't get me wrong, when my cucumbers got sick and then got aphids, I took care of them until they were okay. I'm just saying, that if I were you, and the perennials could have bearly give another year, and they are in bad shape, I (again, personally) would think about moving them out, not killing them, of course not, but moving them to a different place, or trying to save them, but get them out of my small balconies.

Hope you'll find a solution that satisfies you, ask some other people on the forum, they probably have way more experience than me and you together...

Good luck.

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In boston you should be able to enjoy a planted patio, but my rule of thumb is perennials are for open ground, and annuals go in pots, everyone will have a slightly different take on this, but it's how I've done it for years.

(tetters is spot on.)

a potted patio in the summer requires sun, but some plants chosen correctly will do very well in shaded locales.

my patio in SW ohio faces south, and gets some pretty intense heat, so water is a must, daily without rain.

these from today.

DSCF4709.JPG
DSCF4707.JPG

Ask a Question