Need assistance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a potted pygmy date palm I purchased this spring repotted not to disturb the root ball. I realize they are slow growers but I have noticed in the past few weeks the frons are drooping and even looks like they are trying to close up. Help...help... the middle is green but I am still concerned something is wrong. I checked the soil and it seems fine so I am sure it is not root rot. A friend told me to place gravel in the bottom for the plant to get air but I am concerned this is only suffocating the plant and not allowing the air to reach the soil to dry out properly. Thoughts anyone. Should I repot and take out the gravel? Its a nice potted tree about 3ft tall. I live in the midwest and would really like to keep it for the winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pygmy Date Palms (Phoenix roebelenii) want regular water with reasonably good drainage, and full sun, at least half a day. It should enjoy the Midwest's climate in Summer, and I'm sure you know to bring it inside to a greenhouse or bright window in Winter.

It is normal for the oldest leaves to eventually brown and being replaced by new growth in the center. If this is the situation, I would not worry. Just cut off the dead leaves if you find them unsightly.

However, if all the leaves are turning brown or wilting even when you water regularly, then there may be a problem with the plant's vasculature, likely caused by some type of pathogen. This situation is hard to treat and often leads to death... Keep the plant somewhat moist but allow it to partly dry between waterings.

You do want to make sure the soil column drains well, usually rocks at the bottom do not help drainage, a uniform column of well-draining soil is best. Of course, I am presuming your container has drainage holes, if not that is the problem right there. Repot into a new container immediately! If you are concerned about water leaking use a tray to collect the water, but make sure the plant is not sitting in a puddle. Either drain the tray after watering or prop the pot up higher than the water in the tray.

Also if you are keeping it indoors year-round it may not be getting enough light, only a large sunny window will do. If you a e able to 'summer' it oudoors it would likely benefit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that the label ''Pygmy palm'' is sometimes a name that is used for other varieties, and it is well advised to double check that you do in fact have Phoenix roebelinii

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pygmy Date Palms (Phoenix roebelenii) want regular water with reasonably good drainage, and full sun, at least half a day. It should enjoy the Midwest's climate in Summer, and I'm sure you know to bring it inside to a greenhouse or bright window in Winter.

It is normal for the oldest leaves to eventually brown and being replaced by new growth in the center. If this is the situation, I would not worry. Just cut off the dead leaves if you find them unsightly.

However, if all the leaves are turning brown or wilting even when you water regularly, then there may be a problem with the plant's vasculature, likely caused by some type of pathogen. This situation is hard to treat and often leads to death... Keep the plant somewhat moist but allow it to partly dry between waterings.

You do want to make sure the soil column drains well, usually rocks at the bottom do not help drainage, a uniform column of well-draining soil is best. Of course, I am presuming your container has drainage holes, if not that is the problem right there. Repot into a new container immediately! If you are concerned about water leaking use a tray to collect the water, but make sure the plant is not sitting in a puddle. Either drain the tray after watering or prop the pot up higher than the water in the tray.

Also if you are keeping it indoors year-round it may not be getting enough light, only a large sunny window will do. If you a e able to 'summer' it oudoors it would likely benefit.
After repotting I relocated it on my patio so it would get the direct morning sun to the afternoon. Should I place it back in direct sun? Should I remove the rocks at the bottom. Yes there is a large drainage hole in the bottom of the clay pot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, full sun is best, at least half a day of sunlight. Water when the soil is just beginning to dry on the soil surface. It will also benefitt from occasional fertilizng. That is true for most container plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, full sun is best, at least half a day of sunlight. Water when the soil is just beginning to dry on the soil surface. It will also benefitt from occasional fertilizng. That is true for most container plants.
ok thanks again / what about re potting it and taking out the gravel is that something I should do ??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't find gravel in the bottoms of pots to be beneficial, but I wouldn't necessarily panic about removing it either... unless it is directly causing poor drainage, which is possible. Otherwise, the next time you do repot I would consider not using gravel.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't find gravel in the bottoms of pots to be beneficial, but I wouldn't necessarily panic about removing it either... unless it is directly causing poor drainage, which is possible. Otherwise, the next time you do repot I would consider not using gravel.
ok thank you / its sounds like maybe I should take it out before the winter months so I still have August for the roots to stable before brining it in for the winter

Ask a Question