Need advice on avocado tree

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Hello, I'm new in these forums and I'm hoping for some advice on how to take care of my avocado tree.

Two years ago in winter I started growing this avocado out of a seed from a fruit. Now it looks like this (in pictures). It is a double tree, I don't know why. I never fertilised it. The soil I use is for palm trees ( I tried 4 kinds of soil and this one is best for me atleast ). During warm season I water it about every week or more often and during winter I water it once every two weeks. Since I live in Lithuania, north Europe, the sunlight amplitude is quite big. I know that there is fluoride and very small amounts of chlorine in my tapwater (like for almost everyone on earth), I have lime scale filters. I dont know much about growing plants. I don't need fruit, and I know it's almost impossible to get a tree to produce fruit in my geographical zone. Also, I don't know what strain it is. I just want it to grow. My questions :
-Should I fertilise it? And how to do that ? :) I read that nitrogen could be usefull.
-Should I trasfer it to a bigger pot to grow more?
-If I cut out the small arm of the tree and plant it in another pot to make another tree; will that help the bigger tree grow more easily? (see in pictures).
-The corners of the leaves of my tree are brown, don't know why. Why is that?
-You can see that the bottom leaves are looking yellow and today I ripped of the first dried out dead leaf from the bottom. You can see that I scattered the dead leaf around in the pot. What does the yellow color mean on the botton leaves? Burn, lack of nutrition, cold, not enough light ?

Hope to get some answers :) thank you. IMG_2047.JPG IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2044.JPG IMG_2043.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG
IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the Forum Emil101, As many plants age, the lower leaves will turn yellow and drop off. This is simply a normal part of their growth. The only Major factor in lower leaves dropping is coursed by a lack of light but as it is by your window I'd Rule that out. In the case Nitrogen deficiency, the plant's top leaves will be the first go yellow. So I'd rule that out as it is the bottom. As for the lower Shoot It is up to you. If you are trying to Get a Tree like Plant then Cut the lower shoot and Only let it Shoot further up the Stem. If you decide to let it Shoot Freely at the Base your Get a Shrub like Avocado Instead of a Tree. Looks Happy To Me But A larger Pot Could be in order Soon. There Will Be others on the Forum That can offer more Help And Advice. Nice Plant(y)

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Welcome to the Forum Emil101, As many plants age, the lower leaves will turn yellow and drop off. This is simply a normal part of their growth. The only Major factor in lower leaves dropping is coursed by a lack of light but as it is by your window I'd Rule that out. In the case Nitrogen deficiency, the plant's top leaves will be the first go yellow. So I'd rule that out as it is the bottom. As for the lower Shoot It is up to you. If you are trying to Get a Tree like Plant then Cut the lower shoot and Only let it Shoot further up the Stem. If you decide to let it Shoot Freely at the Base your Get a Shrub like Avocado Instead of a Tree. Looks Happy To Me But A larger Pot Could be in order Soon. There Will Be others on the Forum That can offer more Help And Advice. Nice Plant(y)
Thank you, so all is ok I understand. But what about fertilisation ? 3-4 months out the year I get 60-70% less light. From what you see, should I fertilise?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome Emil. Your tree looks quite healthy for being indoors. The first thing I would do is put a bucket outside and try to catch some rainwater. Your tree will thank you for it. I had several avocado trees when I lived in Florida and they were dormant during the winter. Each spring they would sprout out new growth. I think you should forget fertilizing during the winter and then begin again when the days lengthen. I also would leave the second trunk on for now just to give the plant character. It doesn’t seem to be having a negative effect.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Welcome Emil. Your tree looks quite healthy for being indoors. The first thing I would do is put a bucket outside and try to catch some rainwater. Your tree will thank you for it. I had several avocado trees when I lived in Florida and they were dormant during the winter. Each spring they would sprout out new growth. I think you should forget fertilizing during the winter and then begin again when the days lengthen. I also would leave the second trunk on for now just to give the plant character. It doesn’t seem to be having a negative effect.
Thank you for the answer :) I'll definetely go and catch some water today. So I still don't understand - rain water will be enough minerals for my tree? I don't need to fertilise? Even during the warm season ?
Hope to hear from You.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you for the answer :) I'll definetely go and catch some water today. So I still don't understand - rain water will be enough minerals for my tree? I don't need to fertilise? Even during the warm season ?
Hope to hear from You.

Definitely fertilize a little during the growing season but not during the short hour days. Under normal conditions rain water is perfect for plants. The only time I can think of where it wouldn’t be the best choice is where pollution is a factor. Also, if possible, use natural fertilizer instead of commercial stuff that can contain unwanted chemicals. Manure tea or seaweed tea is great. When you have some free time search fertilizer on this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Definitely fertilize a little during the growing season but not during the short hour days. Under normal conditions rain water is perfect for plants. The only time I can think of where it wouldn’t be the best choice is where pollution is a factor. Also, if possible, use natural fertilizer instead of commercial stuff that can contain unwanted chemicals. Manure tea or seaweed tea is great. When you have some free time search fertilizer on this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge.
Thank you. :) peace

Ask a Question