Need a tall shrub with root system that does not reach out wide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been researching for 2 hours and can't find answers. Any help in finding a tall shrub with NOT wide root system? I do not want the roots to go past about 4 feet, but would like something about 6 feet high. Live in region 7. Here is what landscaper recommended, but I couldn't find enough info on root systems:

Hetzii Holly
Winterberry Holly
Pink Summersweet Ruby Spice
Pin point Blue and Gold Flase Cypress
Golden Privet
Sungold Golden Thread Flase Cypress
Summer snowflack DOublefile vibernum
Shasta Viburnum
Sky Pierce Holly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Spread of root systems is unimportant as long as there is room for them to grow. Unless there is some special reason to keep the roots contained it doesn't really matter.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It certainly can matter in some situations and in fact can be critical.. You are wise to check first.

I would start with a process of elimination.

First, Holly's have both a taproot and a prolific lateral root system...so I would scratch them.

Cypress trees, and I have several, have incredibly aggressive lateral roots. I don't know about false cypress but just on the chance of similarities with the real thing, I would scratch it also.

That leaves viburnum. They have a shallow lateral root system and of the plants listed come closest IMO to your criterion.

Whichever viburnum you like, or both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Depending on whether there are some kind of restrictions like a foundation or small perennials or something like that. None of those plants are big enough to cause any kind of damage to much of anything. The False Cypresses are all dwarfs that barely reach 8' or so after decades.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you both! This is very close to an above ground pool (pool is sunken into ground 18 inches) so I am worried about the roots either going into the side of the pool or under the pool and poking a hole upwards. They will be 5-10 feet away (on an angle). Thank you for your input!

Ask a Question