Natural tea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would like to make some tea from fresh plants of some sort, but have no idea where to start. Do any of you have any recommendations or can you point me to some websites that I may find ingredients for fresh teas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would like to make some tea from fresh plants of some sort, but have no idea where to start. Do any of you have any recommendations or can you point me to some websites that I may find ingredients for fresh teas?
There are all kinds of herbs to make tea with. Just pick some that sound good to you and grow'em, dry'em, steep'em and drink'em

Reaction score
I love to make peppermint tea from scratch. Heat a pot of water. While it heats, pick a handful peppermint leaves, muddle/crush a bit, add to a mug. When water is boiling, pour over tea leaves, and let steep. Pull out when it's the way you like, whether weak or strong.
If I'm being lazy, I pull out Peppermint Celestial Seasonings(all natural herbal tea).

Reaction score
Why not dandelion tea? I heard it's highly curative and very delicious, some people have said it even reminds them to the way coffee tastes, but this one is very healing! I guess it's prepared like most other herbal teas, just follow Treeca instructions and you should be fine :)

Reaction score
I love to make peppermint tea from scratch. Heat a pot of water. While it heats, pick a handful peppermint leaves, muddle/crush a bit, add to a mug. When water is boiling, pour over tea leaves, and let steep. Pull out when it's the way you like, whether weak or strong.
If I'm being lazy, I pull out Peppermint Celestial Seasonings(all natural herbal tea).

My dad prepares peppermint tea as well, but only when he isn't feeling very well (tummy issues) he drinks it and after a bit he feels better. He's been using it as a natural remedy for years, sometimes it doesn't work because it's too serious, but when his tummy issues aren't caused by strong infection all is fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I am going to do some experiments and if I find something super good I will let you all know. I

Reaction score
When my oldest daughter was a baby, I had a Hispanic friend who had a son her age. She told me that when he had tummy trouble, she would give him weak peppermint to to calm him.. It worked and when my youngest daughter was a baby, she had colic for the first 6 mo. Peppermnt tea was the life savior. I like herbal teas and grow peppermint, spearming, lemon balm and a mint that I got the was growing wild. i have also drunk dandelion tea when I am not feeling well. I am Treeca's mom and she makes yummy mint teas.

Reaction score
I think one tea you should try brewing is rosemary, it is just so delicious with a lovely aroma ; whenever I am suffering form indigestion i drink a cup of this tea and it really helps.

Reaction score
Chamomile is wonderful. It's easy to grow and fresh chamomile is so much better than the dried stuff. You pick the flowers- I like putting them in an individual french press type cup. The flowers are pretty.

Since dried flowers aren't nearly as nice, this year I'm going to pick the flowers, wash them, and freeze them in ice cubes. When I want fresh chamomile tea in the winter I'll just put on of the cubes in a cup and add hot water.

My other favorites are lemon grass, basil, lemon balm, lavender and anise seed.

My all time favorite, though, is one I can't have anymore due to an allergy. Fennel tea. You put a teaspoon of seeds in a cup, add hot water and let steep. When you get a seed in your mouth, eat it. You should actually eat all the seeds. It calms the stomach, and if you have a cup of tea a day, you'll get the fiber you need to keep things moving smoothly.

It's amazing the things you can grow in your garden that make great teas. It is best though to check each one online in case there are any side effects to having too much. Many herbal teas are medicinal.

Reaction score
My daughter was having terrible tummy pain last night and was thinking about going to the emergency room. It was late at night and I just did not want to have to go out that late to take her. I had her brew up some mint tea with some fresh mint I went out to my flower bed and picked. It calmed her tummy and she was able to go to sleep and is feeling much better today.. Hooray for mint tea!

Reaction score
Aside from the fresh leaves, do you leave the leaves out to dry under the sun or do you roast them or something? I have been curious about this, but I always thought it was a stupid question.

Reaction score
I always pick some mint before the fall and allow it to dry (just on a cookie sheet on the counter) and put it in a jar for winter.

Dandelion roots I roast, and some of the leaves. I think the roots make much better tea roasted than raw.

No questions are stupid. How else are you going to learn? Years ago we learned these things from our grandmothers, now we have to search them out online or find people online with similar interests to learn these things.

YAY for forums~

Ask a Question