Names - Bear, Pig, Grease ...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We have heard some very outlandish names being given to babies .. Someone is called Grease, ... A lot of impossibly ridiculous or unique names. I secretly think Bear Payne might be a contributory factor to a separation. Every time I read that name, I want to cry for the baby!

We are sensible people. I really don't think people should have hang-ups about their names. After all, Engelbert Humperdinck is as famous as Tom Jones! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

But If you could name yourself, what Christian names or surnames would you consider please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Well I've had two sets of names, my birth name and a couple months later my adopted legal name.
I'm not fond of my adopted surname nor my birth surname. One is very English and the other is very Cree and they just sound weird to me. I do love the name of my mom's dad. His name was Anton Christian Ollie Jensen, just has a wonderful ring to it and very Danish isn't it.
My dad had an uncle Ezra, I always liked that name.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've had two sets of names, my birth name and a couple months later my adopted legal name.
I'm not fond of my adopted surname nor my birth surname. One is very English and the other is very Cree and they just sound weird to me. I do love the name of my mom's dad. His name was Anton Christian Ollie Jensen, just has a wonderful ring to it and very Danish isn't it.
My dad had an uncle Ezra, I always liked that name.

I like Jensen, too. I once joked that I didn't like my ex's surname and would love to have name like Oppenheimer! Then I realised that I might be in trouble if it sounds like the name from an oppressed race. My ex's sister couldn't wait to ditch her name. For me, it doesn't really matter.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My mother's name was Eula Vida, I had an aunt Zetta and an aunt Tula. I'm quite content to being a plain Jane.

Hehe! Such a lot of vowels in the names. My late mother in law had a bit of Danish blood and yet her name was very French! It's a small world. But to call your baby Bear Payne is really a bit too cruel! It's a name and it sticks. The poor mite can be the butt of a joke for the rest of his life!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My late Father-in-Law was named Garland Erastus. Poor kid!
:LOL::eek:
I wonder if he liked his name! Sounds like a smelly plant in a constant state of rapture! Poor kid indeed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I'm glad that now we have a law that prohibits ridiculous names for children. Because the imagination of inadequate parents has no limit.

The most terrible name was a boy from Moscow. His name is "Biological Object The man of the Voronin-Frolov family, born on 26.06.2002 »

Short (with translation) - BOMVF26062002.

For 14 years, everyone tried to convince the family to give the child a normal name. The child could not get the documents! But at the age of 14, children receive a passport, so the boy was able to get a normal name. And there was a law on names.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Because the imagination of inadequate parents has no limit.

This makes me laugh and laugh! These parents deliberately expose their children to abuse! Don't you think?

Your post makes me eyes well with giggle tears!

Sad that people think they own their children and make them the butt of cruel jokes!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
My maiden surname is Rouse. I didn't like it when i was in secondary school. When the teacher was calling out the register he would say the surname. He was the history teacher and he said that my name was german for out. The boys thought that it was funny and they kept saying it. After that for years i didn't like my name. Glad that when i was 17 I got married and had my married name. But that's not the only reason to get married of course.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mind my first name, maybe not be my choice, I know full well that there are worse out there.:LOL:
Our sons were given an 'English' first name and then a middle name from hubs country. Years ago we weren't sure where we would definitely settle , so at least they had a name that could've been use if we had gone to live in hubs homeland (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Try finding names for children when you are a teacher. Almost every name we came up with had connotations. In the end we chose fairly standard names, but ones which we did not associate with less than pleasant children.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Just try registering children for kindergarten! I've encountered Savannahs, Cherokees, Aspins (yes, that was the way one mother spelled her daughter's name), D'Andrews, D'amores, but no D'nieces. The most memorable was Phoelixia (pronounced, but not spelled, Felicia). Some kids are 10 or 12 before they can spell their own first name!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My maiden surname is Rouse. I didn't like it when i was in secondary school. When the teacher was calling out the register he would say the surname. He was the history teacher and he said that my name was german for out. The boys thought that it was funny and they kept saying it. After that for years i didn't like my name. Glad that when i was 17 I got married and had my married name. But that's not the only reason to get married of course.:)

You sound like my sister-in-law. She couldn't wait to get married to shed the family name. Unfortunately, the man was one who would crash his car into the ditch and go and buy a new one. Whatever reason, they divorced and she went to Australia, got married and settled down there. Ex kept saying he couldn't get over the fact that his niece could have a detached house with double garage even though she's in her late 20s.

To me, I don't really mind. When people looked at me and queried my surname, I had to joke, "Unfortunately, I am XXXX!"! I had to said that to all the delivery men and one Indian gentlemen giggled.

Ask a Question