Naked peach tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I bought a peach tree from Home Depot. Remember, I was an idiot and was everything I did was "experimenting". Ok, here goes the story.

I bought the peach tree, and I noticed the leaves were all wilted. I watered, fertilized, gave it sunlight. Everything I could possibly do. I thought the leaves were just taking all the energy, so I removed every leave out there. I waiting a couple of weeks, and not a single leaf grew back. I heard about pruning the branches off to help growth, so I did it..ALL of it. I removed all the branches besides for the main stem part. It just looks like a pole with little branches coming off. I didn't remove it clean. I left like a half a inch.

Home depot has a one year policy. Is this tree a lost case? I will feel embarrassed to bring this makes tree to them. How can I fix this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought a peach tree from Home Depot. Remember, I was an idiot and was everything I did was "experimenting". Ok, here goes the story.

I bought the peach tree, and I noticed the leaves were all wilted. I watered, fertilized, gave it sunlight. Everything I could possibly do. I thought the leaves were just taking all the energy, so I removed every leave out there. I waiting a couple of weeks, and not a single leaf grew back. I heard about pruning the branches off to help growth, so I did it..ALL of it. I removed all the branches besides for the main stem part. It just looks like a pole with little branches coming off. I didn't remove it clean. I left like a half a inch.

Home depot has a one year policy. Is this tree a lost case? I will feel embarrassed to bring this makes tree to them. How can I fix this?
There isn't much you can do at this point. About all you can do is scrape off the bark to see if it is still alive. If it is green where you scrape it, it is still alive but don't hold your breath on it staying alive. Is it showing any signs of resprouting where you cut the limbs off?

Reaction score
I would bring it back into Home Depot. Things happen and there's no need to be embarrassed. I'm sure you're not the first person to bring in their tree for warranty. I know that it might stink bringing in something that you've already cared for, but sometimes we need to start over. It might be good to have a fresh start and learn from any mistakes you might have made before. If you're trying to save the tree and are set on it, I would scrape the tree to see if it's still alive. If it's still alive, I'd suggest talking to someone at Home Depot that might know how to bring it back to life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, the tree isn't alive. It has roots, but it's too late (I think). We will bring it back. Maybe on Sunday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you have a garden center near you check to see if they have any peach trees they might cost a little more but you will know there healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The wilting leaves were the first clue that something was wrong. If you got them to replace it, (since I am replying after Sunday) check with the forum before doing something like removing all the leaves again. A plant can wilt from too much water as easily as from too little - and when it's from too much water, it's a lot more of a problem.

The best bet would be to plant the peach tree in the ground as soon as you can rather than keeping it in a pot. Mother Nature waters way better than we can. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My mom was busy, so we are going to try to go this week.

I wasn't on any gardening forums at the time and I was experimenting around lol. I now know that what I did was wrong. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No problem, these guys are really great and can be a wonderful resource, especially for beginning gardeners. Good luck when you get your next tree. ;)

Ask a Question